people with house chickens

I have house chickens :p

Actually roosters. My neighbors are pricks. It started with Boss the silver sebright and yesterday Dirtburner the buff bantam cochin joined him, there's going to be at least 2 more, a Birchen cochin and a bantam dark brahma. As soon as they crow they come in.

Boss likes to eat my food and sit on the people bed. He makes adorable little noises when he gets to nap with us and talks back when I talk to him.

I'm not judging but I had my chicks in my house from early April to end of May. With 8 chickens in the house for close to 2 months lots of cleaning they still smelled. They poop were ever they walk. Gross as much as I enjoy them there better out side.

I'm not judging but I had my chicks in my house from early April to end of May. With 8 chickens in the house for close to 2 months lots of cleaning they still smelled. They poop were ever they walk. Gross as much as I enjoy them there better out side.
They stink. Absolutely, when I had chicks in here I could not wait to get them out the yucky lil guys. The indoors I have don't tend to because I diaper them and they walk around so there's not poo build up. Overnight however, they sleep in a dog crate. I keep it in the bathroom so I can run the fan, but it doesn't always smell great in there in the morning so I am trying to find a new solution to that. Also the crate takes up pretty much my entire tiny bathroom.. ha ha.

I think I am going to try a used baby playpen for their night time digs with shavings in the bottom. That way it will be less cleaning (right now it's every day) and I can put it in my spare room. I think it will be better. I really really hope anyway because cleaning the crate is making me crazy..

Edit to add mine are tiny tiny bantams. I could not imagine trying to keep a standard bird inside, their poos (even just one poo!) can knock you right over. My sebright is the size of a can of soda.

They stink. Absolutely, when I had chicks in here I could not wait to get them out the yucky lil guys. The indoors I have don't tend to because I diaper them and they walk around so there's not poo build up. Overnight however, they sleep in a dog crate. I keep it in the bathroom so I can run the fan, but it doesn't always smell great in there in the morning so I am trying to find a new solution to that. Also the crate takes up pretty much my entire tiny bathroom.. ha ha.

I think I am going to try a used baby playpen for their night time digs with shavings in the bottom. That way it will be less cleaning (right now it's every day) and I can put it in my spare room. I think it will be better. I really really hope anyway because cleaning the crate is making me crazy..

Would PDZ help to deodorize your chicken crate? Some people use it in their chicken coop poop-trays and say it does a great deodorizing job. It's used in horse stalls and chicken owners use it in their coops and it cleans out like kitty litter. If you use a baby playpen, use a sturdy wooden one and not one of those flimsy netted pens so the chickens don't get their feet stuck in the netting to injure themselves when struggling free. Your bantams sound adorable!

I have house chickens :p

Actually roosters. My neighbors are pricks. It started with Boss the silver sebright and yesterday Dirtburner the buff bantam cochin joined him, there's going to be at least 2 more, a Birchen cochin and a bantam dark brahma. As soon as they crow they come in.

Boss likes to eat my food and sit on the people bed. He makes adorable little noises when he gets to nap with us and talks back when I talk to him.
Awww!!! Post pics when you get a chance! House chickens ROCK!!!!

Mine are bantam cochins also...so small babies! I haven't had smell issues..but I am a NEAT FREAK so I am always cleaning up! They also get outside so they can forage, sunbathe and dust everyday...so not totally "cooped up" in the house:D

Lost my battle trying to raise rare Blue Breda pullets -- lost one the first week and managed to raise the 2nd one to 6-months. I'll try Blue Breda again in future but my immediate need is for layers since I have only one laying Cuckoo Breda hen at the moment. So I ordered 3 Dominique pullet chicks from my local feed store since no one has older Dom pullets available this time of year. Wish me luck raising these baby chicks. I love Doms because they are non-combative, lighterweight, and outgoing friendly like Breda are. But I've got to keep these babies indoors until they're ready to go outside.
DSCN8248.JPG
DSCN8250.JPG
DSCN8253.JPG
DSCN8257.JPG

Where do they poop? I have chicken droppings all over my driveway, front walk, and deck when they sneak up there. I would think there'd be poop all over the house

Back
Top Bottom