people with house chickens

Pics
I just had to chime in.
My neighborhood is such a.... *screams.* Technically, we aren't allowed to own pets that aren't dogs and cats. And, also, we can't have more than 3 pets. Goldfish are banned.
We can't have bushes over 3 feet high.
We can't have fences.
We can't leave our garage door open for more than an hour, and aren't allowed to have anything in our yards.
... chickens are completely banned.   So I'm waiting until spring to get them in my neighbor's yard (owns a farm, it's okay for them to have chickens.)
We've talked to the HOA repeatedly. They say no. Never give me a reason, and if they happen to, I give them the facts (they are **** stupid reasons to say no) and they just shrug and say - "That doesn't change our answer." 
So chickens are a no fly. Hope it's not the same for you. Over half of our neighbor voted 'yes' on the provision I suggested to add to the ordinance. Still a no. 
Oh well. Counting the minutes until my mother lets us move. 

GOLDFISH?! They BAN goldfish? What in the world? That is the craziest thing I have ever heard!

GOLDFISH?! They BAN goldfish? What in the world? That is the craziest thing I have ever heard!
It's totally a thing! I had an HOA that didn't allow anything kept in a cage/aquarium, or that made noise... which leaves who knows what!
I remember in college people fighting tooth and nail to keep different kinds of pets in all places of living - apartments, rental homes, and owned homes via HOA. It's so disappointing how pet un-friendly this world is! I know it starts with pet owners being responsible, but not everyone can afford to live on acres and acres of land =(

Last edited:

Look at all the feathers Webster is getting! His Intermediate diaper from Party Fowl just got shipped out so I'm hoping it comes on Monday!

My mom, of all people, wants me to rename Pidgey to Frizzle. She did let me get the little lady after all so Frizzle it is. She chilling on my bed right now in her corner.

I'm not sure how the diapers work? How often are they changed and doesn't the poo keep their vent area messy? I guess I am envisioning poo stuck all over their fluff.
hmm.png
I would love to know more about how they work.

I'm not sure how the diapers work? How often are they changed and doesn't the poo keep their vent area messy? I guess I am envisioning poo stuck all over their fluff.
hmm.png
For the most part the feathers around their vent are quite clean actually, unless they have a runny poo, which still doesn't always get on their feathers. If any droppings do get on their feathers it is easy to just wash it off. Diapers are usually worn only during the day time and are changed about 3 times a day. I supposed the number depends on the bird but that was my experience.

Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I've been on here! It has been a crazy few months. My pregnancy made me so nauseous that even the thought of my chickens made me sick so I had to avoid chicken stuff for awhile. My poor hubby took the job of chicken caretaker for awhile (he is VERY happy I'm not like that anymore.haha). had to move my babies outside, I felt so so bad until I saw how much they love free ranging all day! They come to my front door every morning for scratches and treats then follow me to get their food and talk to me the whole time. (Of course they still come and go inside and outside as they please now!)

Then after like 2 weeks of being outside we got all this crazy rain in Georgia. My girls got mites, YUCK! Never want to deal with those again. Because of the mites we moved everyone back into the garage.... Which brought rats....

We finally cleared their house of mites and were able to let them go back out (after what seemed to be a month of solid rain). Then we had to tackle the rat problem. We tried humane traps first as neither of us wanted to kill them, but we didn't catch anything. So we got actual traps and caught a few, then the traps kept getting tripped but no rat. So we tried something else, same thing. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Finally, they almost chewed thru our chicken feed storage bin overnight (over 2 inches thick!!!) and we started to see poop heading up the stairs to our house. We finally caved and used poison. Rat problem finally solved!

No more pregnancy nausea and very happy and healthy chickens!

Anyways, it's so nice to be back! Time to play catch up on posts!!

Thought I would share our recent Halloween pictures: our son, Danny, is Peter Pan and Lily got to be Tinkerbell :)

I sure did miss my girls when I couldn't see them!!

Hi everyone

Can some of you please do me a favour & look at my thread "3 pet roosters " in flock management . I found out something a little shocking and am now looking at keeping 2 Easter egger cockerels indoors .
Call me crazy, but they were handreared & are sleeping on the settee like a pair of little dogs. They are three weeks old & I've included a pic !
Just need some help. My DH is also not aware of the "plan" yet although I think he suspects. We can't have children so I am totally dedicated to my animals.

BTW, keep this thread going. Its very informative :)

I want to try and make chicken diapers :p but they would put grow them in a week at the moment. I would only do a diaper with the design holding the poo well away from the body though :-D poor Chickies , the torture of living on a cushion...

hmm.png
My chicken's vent feathers were never messy, but my goose's feathers always get poopy. It's definitely the wetness, but the goose also takes a daily, sometimes twice daily, bath and it cleans right up!
I change the diapers as soon as they are soiled. 3 times a day seems like they would be in a dirty diaper way too long for my taste. Keeping it clean helps with the feathers, as well as the smell, and makes general clean up quicker and easier.

Hehe yes I have a house chicken! The first day I let my 2 girls free range one of them (Tilly) made her way upstairs and begun scratching around the house. The poo wasn't really a problem as it's easy to wash off wooden floors. But now Tilly has been kicked out as our cat Killer (he suites his name!) has rule in the house. Ah well it was cute while it lasted!

I clean up Sunni's diapers every time I see her squat down to poop. So about 7-8 times per day. A few times she has had soft poops and I have had to sit with a warm wet washcloth and wash her off. Otheriwse her poops are solid and I can just empty the diaper into the toilet and put it back on. It depends on the bird really. If you have a chicken who has lots of runny/soft poops, you're going to spend a lot of time scrubbing out diapers with baby wipes. If the chicken had mostly solid poops, it only takes a few seconds to clean it out.

Edit: This post was meant for @lularat but I forgot to quote her post.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom