people with house chickens

Hi All,

I decided to expand my 3 silkie's outside run today...they had a smaller 5' x 5' x 3' run built out of pvc. I built them a 10' x10' x 10' pvc run and added the old one to make a door and sort of a holding type area. One side is part of the chain link fence. I still have to finish the covering on the top and to figure out some way to anchor the pipe securely to the ground...it is zip tied to the chain link fence. I have an old swing set in it to hang feed and water containers and they have a old dog house to take shelter in when outside. The dogs were a big help too.

I also mix my own grains...along with their regular pellets. I had to go buy a new batch of ingredients. They got cracked wheat,wheat berries,flax seeds,pearled barley,white buckwheat, red lentils, raw sunflower seeds and rolled oats all mixed together..with dried meal worms. I kinda just get what I think they may like that sounds healthy.They also get overripe fruits..leftover scrambled / hard boiled eggs,greens... etc. They also got to pick the remnants of fried chicken...the cannibals!!

I think they may be a little spoiled!!
Lisa

You can use that swingset as a tractor itself, but you already have it enclosed so... it will make a great food and water hanger. Just make sure you cover your run to protect your babies from predators. You can get netting or use some kind of fencing and secure to the frame over the sides. Shelter part of the run so it doesnt get muddy, or you can plant omega 3 chicken forage greens. Get them cheap online and they grow fast.

Hi Chickie Momma,
What is this forage greens you speak of? My chicken run looks like hell nd I would love to grow something in my garden that the chickens can eat besides just the stuff they want to eat. We have deer clover that grows all over our yard but would like to grow as i said something in a little garden just for my already spoiled kids....thanx

Hey Tacampbell,
You can try wheat grass, oat grass, and even online you can do a search for omega 3 chicken forage greens. Check out the results from Amazon.com...they are $3 plus shipping for a large packet! Realsis posted her greens growing in her run...check it out. :D

This is droplet muffies new friend

Hi All,

Quite a few years back I had a barred rock that lived in my apt. She was the SWEETEST chicken ever.. She loved to lay in my lap and purr while I pulled her feathers thru my fingers.
Ha! she would lie in my lap looking like road kill... all flopped out.
I miss having chickens.. but I am working towards getting a little serama, maybe two, maybe three. Hehehehehe.
My husband is seriously going to kill me.
But I love chickens!
I want some back yard chickens.. but the HOA makes it difficult and expensive. They want you to submit blue prints and have one of those high end chicken coops...sure they are cute, but i dont have $600-$1200 to buy one...
So for now I am going to have my cute little Seramas and eventually I will have some full sized chickens in the back yard!!!!

I have been googling Seramas like a crazy person..
I will post pics once I get them.

Sincerely,
Terri

This is droplet muffies new friend
Kendra she's beautiful! Is she yours or just a neighbor? Wow, is she a salmon faverolles? what a great expression! I don't qualify anymore as "people with house chickens"....my husband and I had it out about chickens in the house. I think the discussion went something like "if I wanted my house to smell like a barn, I would live in a barn" seriously it took all my power not to tell himwhile he was building his new barn to live in while he was at it he could build me a bigger coop too. Ha ha, No really he is a good guy, just really old school about "livestock"as he calls them. Well enough venting, for now, So Muffie likes her new pal Droplet. Thats cool. I looked out in my chicken barn yesterdayand I have two hens competeing for one box. They both went broody and I looked in - all I could seewas a head poking out from under anothers wing.Silly girls.

Hi All,

Quite a few years back I had a barred rock that lived in my apt.  She was the SWEETEST chicken ever.. She loved to lay in my lap and purr while I pulled her feathers thru my fingers.
Ha! she would lie in my lap looking like road kill... all flopped out.
I miss having chickens.. but I am working towards getting a little serama, maybe two, maybe three.  Hehehehehe.
My husband is seriously going to kill me.
But I love chickens!
I want some back yard chickens.. but the HOA makes it difficult and expensive.  They want you to submit blue prints and have one of those high end chicken coops...sure they are cute, but i dont have $600-$1200 to buy one...
So for now I am going to have my cute little Seramas and eventually I will have some full sized chickens in the back yard!!!!

I have been googling Seramas like a crazy person.. 
I will post pics once I get them.

Sincerely,
Terri

Seramas, you say? DOOOO IT! How could you say no to a face like this?

Kendra she's beautiful! Is she yours or just a neighbor? Wow, is she a salmon faverolles? what a great expression! I don't qualify anymore as "people with house chickens"....my husband and I had it out about chickens in the house. I think the discussion went something like "if I wanted my house to smell like a barn, I would live in a barn" seriously it took all my power not to tell himwhile he was building his new barn to live in while he was at it he could build me a bigger coop too. Ha ha, No really he is a good guy, just really old school about "livestock"as he calls them. Well enough venting, for now, So Muffie likes her new pal Droplet. Thats cool. I looked out in my chicken barn yesterdayand I have two hens competeing for one box. They both went broody and I looked in - all I could seewas a head poking out from under anothers wing.Silly girls.

thx! droplet is a Bearded Belgian D'anver. shes ours :) 5 months old!

Back
Top Bottom