people with house chickens

I just got the enclosure I was waiting on today (a friend was building it for me), and will be setting the girls up in it tomorrow! I'll be sure to post a picture :)

Also, Allie has started to lose her baby cheeping today.. it was so sweet, yet almost heartbreaking for me as her mom, seeing her grow up lol. She kept cheeping but little honk-like sounds would come and go as she did. Seemed like the more honks happened, the more she tried to cheep in attempt to keep her baby voice haha! She also kept tucking her head under Elsie tonight to go to sleep, almost as if she was cuddling up underneath a mother hen, it was too sweet. I don't think she's ready to grow up! ...but I don't think I'm ready for her to grow up either
hu.gif

I've got some diapers by Sky on their way to me, Allie and Elsie didn't seem to enjoy the ones I made for them. Hopefully these will go over with them better!

Pepper is a standard white Cochin!

I know how you feel, MaddiesMum. Pep's starting to get a weird chirp and cry about her, at first we were worried she was a bit hoarse! I will miss her little tweets.

Pepper has finally become chicken shaped! She'll be 6 weeks tomorrow. It's a lot like having a small, peeping cloud as a house pet. Really hard to think she descended from dinosaurs when she's being a quiet puff, but then she'll strike a pose or make a fuss and it's so obvious to see! Here she was on the 30th: Photos from the 27th:
Aww she's so cute

Pepper is a standard white Cochin!

I know how you feel, MaddiesMum. Pep's starting to get a weird chirp and cry about her, at first we were worried she was a bit hoarse! I will miss her little tweets.

That's cool! I've always wanted Cochins.

Enclosure is getting there! I did a quick little introduction with the birdies.
It has sliding plexi doors that I hadn't put in yet in the pics. Its 4'x2'x2' and they seem to love it so far! Scratched and dustbathed in the sand like crazy. I'll be adding in the food/water/roost etc shortly.
I just love it because they can throw the substrate around as much as they'd like without making a mess outside of it!

I have brought chicks and the like inside the house before to sit in front of the tele with, but I think now I am submitting myself to the life of permanent house chicken. I made my gal a diaper yesterday, and after lots of going in reverse, she has finally figured out how to go forward.
big_smile.png
She is such a doll, and thus far has been nameless. I brought her in the house because she got her foot pinned underneath a door, and was scraped up and swollen. I come to find she actually enjoyed being in the house, much more than any other peep I brought in for injury purposes. So we chill during the day, at night she goes in her kennel. If I leave the room when she's "free-ranging" she peeps for me, or follows me. I think it is funny, as some people have exotic breeds with beautiful plumage to keep in the house, I just have a plane jane black sex-link! Although she is very pretty, and does not look like the other ladies I have. Each feather on her neck/shoulders only has a thin stripe of red on it. Everyone else had almost solid red feathers on their necks. But if I do ever bring in a friend for her, It'll either be a nice little Silkie, or a Cochin!

Here she is gnawing on my earring while I was sewing her diaper. She enjoyed my pain. LOL

Best part is, I don't have a sewing machine so I showed up at my mother's house with a chicken in tow. My mother absolutely loves birds, and I think she enjoyed my house chicken.
wink.png
I told her I had plenty to spare, I could get her a house chicken, too! (In addition to my one lucky fowl, I have around 100 outside birds, many of which were hatched this year, some by my own bator.)

Back
Top Bottom