people with house chickens

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Also today was the second day of putting Pancake's halter on and feeding mealworms to her to get to her use to wearing it. She screams bloody murder about it all but likes the mealworms, she was better today about it. She has got to big yet is still so small. She just sits there in the halter indignant about it all while she wears it. She has also learned how to 'help herself' to the mealworms I had them out on a dish for automatic reward before I put her in the halter and she ran over and grab a few before I snagged her to put her in the halter.

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Also today was the second day of putting Pancake's halter on and feeding mealworms to her to get to her use to wearing it. She screams bloody murder about it all but likes the mealworms, she was better today about it. She has got to big yet is still so small. She just sits there in the halter indignant about it all while she wears it. She has also learned how to 'help herself' to the mealworms I had them out on a dish for automatic reward before I put her in the halter and she ran over and grab a few before I snagged her to put her in the halter.

It takes time for the Silkie to get used to the diaper. Ours always wanted to walk backwards until my DH started grabbing the shoulder straps and nudging her backend and forcing her to walk forward. Her little legs peddled as fast as they could to keep up with his nudging her forward for several seconds until she started to wobble forward on her own. By end of day she was toodling around easily everywhere in the kitchen.

Well, I have no more house chickens :(. Finn is outside permanently now (he will be coming inside to sleep for another night until the next box is empty), and we just moved the baby chicks outside to our new coop since they are fully feathered. Our house is so empty now!

Well, I have no more house chickens :(. Finn is outside permanently now (he will be coming inside to sleep for another night until the next box is empty), and we just moved the baby chicks outside to our new coop since they are fully feathered. Our house is so empty now!
Why is he outside know?

Why is he outside know?
He has been attacking me for over a month now (yippe), and since I've been bringing him outside he has gotten more aggressive with me when I bring him in. After tonight ,if all of the ducklings hatch tomorrow, he will be sleeping outside. It will be hard, since today I actually brought him back inside to cuddle for a bit but I know its the best for him.

He has been attacking me for over a month now (yippe), and since I've been bringing him outside he has gotten more aggressive with me when I bring him in. After tonight ,if all of the ducklings hatch tomorrow, he will be sleeping outside. It will be hard, since today I actually brought him back inside to cuddle for a bit but I know its the best for him.

Oh no! I wonder why his behavior would change so drastically like that?

Also hi! I was sent here from the duck sub-forum, I'm a hopeful soon-to-be owner of a house duckling. Never done it before so it's a pretty steep learning curve!

Oh no! I wonder why his behavior would change so drastically like that?

Also hi! I was sent here from the duck sub-forum, I'm a hopeful soon-to-be owner of a house duckling. Never done it before so it's a pretty steep learning curve!
just one? You can't have just one house duckling, or at least let her have a flock of outside ducks to be a part of and just visits inside?

just one? You can't have just one house duckling, or at least let her have a flock of outside ducks to be a part of and just visits inside?

Well my goal is two, I'm always home so it'll have someone to bond with. It depends on how this hatch goes. I also have an affectionate cat and I'm hoping they'll pal around like he did with the gosling I fostered last year. On top of that, the clinic I work in allows us to bring our pets so it'll have tons of company and attention!

I notice a lot of you that claim house chickens only have them in while they are young. My Shim is forever a house chicken. She has slept with me nearly every night for 4 years. Kitiara has for 3 years. They do love to go outside; the weather must be perfect or they are standing at the door to be let in.

Our 2 new rescues are quickly learning the house chicken ways. They sleep in an indoor coop.

I'm concerned they will poo on me at night. My girls are trained to drop 'it' over the edge of the bed to a potty pad on the floor. But they don't poo unless you wake them up. They also complain when I move a lot. Kitiara likes to walk up and down my leggs. They each pick a corner at the bottom of the bed, Shim sometimes likes to sleep next to the pillow. I usually have 2 cats and 2 dogs in the bed as well. No one fights, just sleepy cuddles.

My RIR hen Blu is getting pretty beat up by the other hens, she just got attacked by Speckles and her comb is bloody. I want her in the house so bad because she is such a sweetheart.

Back
Top Bottom