people with house chickens

Little silkie is setting for sure. Not sick. She pecks when I reach in & she comes out a couple times a day to eat and drink. Checked her and she looks fine. I'll put a fan on her if she needs it. Had another silkie set at this time last year and only got 1 chick. It's been 100 or nearly that & with a hen's temp and that I don't know how they do it. I was thinking about bringing the whole nest box from the porch to the kitchen.

I understand moving the nesting box could cause a broody to stop setting. Rather than moving her prop her nestbox lid open and drape the opening halfway with a tarp or towel depending on how large her nestbox area is - that way she will still have some privacy but there will be enough cross ventilation while she's nesting - might be better than a fan draft blowing on her. That's excellent that she's coming out to eat and drink. Our Silkies brood so hard we have to remove them gently a couple times daily and put them down in the farthest end of the yard so they have to forage and dust-bathe for exercise before running back to their nest. GL with your girl!

I brought the other one in last year because it was cold. The box is a litter pan and is only on the other side of the kitchen door. I keep the food there so I can keep it filled and dry. The porch is enclosed and I close them in at night. In the day they have the privacy fenced yard. They spend a lot of time watching us through the glass door. If I open the door they walk right in and drink the dog water. They are as close to inside as I can get them till the dog is gone. She is getting old and probably won't be around this time next year. I don't mean to sound like I can't wait. I love my little puff ball. Just facing facts and still hurting after losing my 22 year old cat.

I brought the other one in last year because it was cold. The box is a litter pan and is only on the other side of the kitchen door. I keep the food there so I can keep it filled and dry. The porch is enclosed and I close them in at night. In the day they have the privacy fenced yard. They spend a lot of time watching us through the glass door. If I open the door they walk right in and drink the dog water. They are as close to inside as I can get them till the dog is gone. She is getting old and probably won't be around this time next year. I don't mean to sound like I can't wait. I love my little puff ball. Just facing facts and still hurting after losing my 22 year old cat.

That is so sweet. I love hearing how people get to enjoy their pets. Our flock are our pets since losing a 171/2 y/o black cat and losing an 18 y/o Siamese. That's the hardest part about owning pets is losing them
sad.png
but I wouldn't trade the experience!

Stephen should be getting his first diaper in the mail today. I believe he is still going to be to small for it, but I am going to try it on him when I get home from work! I'm excited. That little man poops.....like......crazy! I'm looking forward to being able to strap a diaper on him and stop chasing him around with baby wipes. LOL!

Sunni isn't so fond of him right now. Poor girl is VERY jealous. I've been taking her out by herself every day and giving her lots of love, to make up for it. But I feel bad. She is so used to being to lone chicken, getting all of the spoiling to herself. She's not willing to share her mama. :lol: She has given him a few hard pecks so far, but otherwise she leaves him alone as long as he does the same to her. She has been giving him quite a few stare downs though. They both will lean forward towards each other, Stephen with his neck feathers standing, and just stare. It's hilarious. XD

I'm so sorry about the loss of your cat. :( 22 years is a long time to have such a loved pet. It makes it so hard to lose them. It's hard no matter what, but losing a pet after so long.... I just can't imagine. :hugs

The diaper fits! :D It's a little big yet, but he at least can't get it off and it stays over his vent. He hates it. He is swapping between walking really funny trying to get it off, and just laying down and giving up. :lol:

I tried to capture how he was walking in the diaper on video. I only managed to get him to do it for a few seconds on camera. He walked around the room like this for a good two minutes before I got the camera out.

Back
Top Bottom