people with house chickens

For cotton
2764.png

And a better picture of the first, which is for DISCO not Ducky. I got them mixed up :p

For cotton
2764.png

And a better picture of the first, which is for DISCO not Ducky. I got them mixed up
tongue.png

Do you have a pattern? My daughter wants to do sewing projects for her pet sillkes that are coming next week, granted, it will be a while before they are big enough to need adult chicken diapers but this gives her time to practice some patterns.

Do you have a pattern? My daughter wants to do sewing projects for her pet sillkes that are coming next week, granted, it will be a while before they are big enough to need adult chicken diapers but this gives her time to practice some patterns.

I do not :/ the only part I use any sort of template for is the diaper, and i still have to custom size everything. When she has her babies I'd be happy to kinda walk her through how I made diapers? I have put these on a week old chick before, it would be good for the little guys to learn early ;)

I do not
hmm.png
the only part I use any sort of template for is the diaper, and i still have to custom size everything. When she has her babies I'd be happy to kinda walk her through how I made diapers? I have put these on a week old chick before, it would be good for the little guys to learn early
wink.png

I have seen chick diapers online before -- they looked around one-month old Silkies wearing them -- probably best not to use diapers before that age since very young chicks have so many issues to grow. And the diaper sizes would have to change week to week as the chick grows.

I do not
hmm.png
the only part I use any sort of template for is the diaper, and i still have to custom size everything. When she has her babies I'd be happy to kinda walk her through how I made diapers? I have put these on a week old chick before, it would be good for the little guys to learn early
wink.png
Sure, I'd love to get your basic stuff for her, her and her dad can work on it. I think I'd rather wait 4-6 weeks before messing with them too much. I didn't even take my chicks outside until they were 4 weeks old, to ensure they were healthy first lol

I have seen chick diapers online before -- they looked around one-month old Silkies wearing them -- probably best not to use diapers before that age since very young chicks have so many issues to grow.  And the diaper sizes would have to change week to week as the chick grows.

The only reason I did it was because I had ready access to a machine and fabrics to be consistently making new ones, it would be a pain to buy them.

The only reason I did it was because I had ready access to a machine and fabrics to be consistently making new ones, it would be a pain to buy them.

Yep, the diapers are pretty costly but after making a few of my own to custom fit our birds I can understand their cost! I custom-made a couple diapers for our Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and she absolutely refused to move in them and sulked sitting down all day without eating or drinking. She showed us that she could move fine in them but just stubbornly refused to cooperate walking, eating, or drinking, so we stopped using them on her. I feel sorry for anyone who buys chicken diapers for their chicken and then finds one stubborn chicken that refuses to move in them! All our breeds wore diapers except for the stubborn Ameraucana -- she was our sweetest temperament bird but also the most self-willed, stubborn, wary, cautious breed we ever had. Each chicken individual is different but our Ameraucana breed was so very much different from any other breeds we've had -- bantam or large fowl.

Yep, the diapers are pretty costly but after making a few of my own to custom fit our birds I can understand their cost! I custom-made a couple diapers for our Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and she absolutely refused to move in them and sulked sitting down all day without eating or drinking. She showed us that she could move fine in them but just stubbornly refused to cooperate walking, eating, or drinking, so we stopped using them on her. I feel sorry for anyone who buys chicken diapers for their chicken and then finds one stubborn chicken that refuses to move in them! All our breeds wore diapers except for the stubborn Ameraucana -- she was our sweetest temperament bird but also the most self-willed, stubborn, wary, cautious breed we ever had. Each chicken individual is different but our Ameraucana breed was so very much different from any other breeds we've had -- bantam or large fowl.
We have a batch of easter eggers, but it will be 2 silkies who will be inside! So hopefully we avoid the diaper drama!

Back
Top Bottom