people with house chickens

Pics
Awww I want a silkie rooster. Do you think I could get away with it in a townhome, ha ha, but sort of serious?? I would call him "Rocky" to go with Laverne and Shirley....its a 70s / 80s theme of names. Guess you can tell how old i am!!

I give Shirley time outs too heehee. When she pecks L too much. My husband cracks up.

Sorry about Tilly, that is so bittersweet I know.

Amber

Quote:

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Amber,
Youre in VA and I'm in MI thats only a 7 hr drive. Meet you at the Ohio turnpike and you can have your pick. I think we have 6 silkie roosters. LOL. Seriously, I don't know if you could get away with it. Probably though. My hens are louder with their egg song than my loudest rooster, Sam. I have black, black and dr gray. Gray and rust, and light gray. Take your pick.

Thanks about Tilly. She thought she wanted to come in tonight, but by the time I was finished with chicken chores she changed her mind and slept in the coop.
hit.gif

Last edited:
hahahahaha
tongue.png

Oh geez, don't temp me!! I told my hubby that Shirley is at least as loud as a roo when she lays! Boy does she fuss and fuss! So I will tell him you concur...and i will see you soon at the ohio turnpike ROFL!!!

Sweet Tilly, i am sure she misses being inside.....Laverne has recently stopped liking to be held! It makes me sad. She will "bwack" when i touch her like shes saying "leave me alone"...boo hoo i hope she starts loving up to me again
sad.png
She will sit on my back if i lay on the floor though...don't ask how i figured that one out. Too much time on my hands lol. Shirley loves up to me all the time and comes when I call her name!!! How cute is that??

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Amber,
Youre in VA and I'm in MI thats only a 7 hr drive. Meet you at the Ohio turnpike and you can have your pick. I think we have 6 silkie roosters. LOL. Seriously, I don't know if you could get away with it. Probably though. My hens are louder with their egg song than my loudest rooster, Sam. I have black, black and dr gray. Gray and rust, and light gray. Take your pick.

Thanks about Tilly. She thought she wanted to come in tonight, but by the time I was finished with chicken chores she changed her mind and slept in the coop.
hit.gif

Ok Amber its official. We have problems. I spent about a half hour sitting in the run today, indian style. With Gabby on my lap and about a dozen chickens pecking at me for attention just so that my ducks would come close to me. I actually was able to pet one today for about 30 seconds while she tired to chew a flower tattoo off my wrist. I am black and blue but it was so worth it.

I am so sorry Laverene is being an independant snot. What gives her the right? we just want their undying love and attention. I really don't think that is to much to ask.

So what time am I meeting you at the turnpike?

Quote:
I love sitting in the chicken coop. It's my favorite place. Whenever I'm frustrated or grouchy, I only have to go sit outside with my birds for a while and it calms me right down.
thumbsup.gif

Here's my inside chicken situation. You'll soon learn that I love to talk, and I'm a fast typist, so I can "talk" as much on here as I do in person!
duc.gif

I've currently got a brooder full of chicks. There are 6 blue wyandottes, 6 giant cochins, and 2 light brahmas. They're 10 days old. I got them to keep bantam cochin chicks company that were supposed to hatch the day after I got them, and I got the bantam cochins so that I can finally win the trophy and jacket for grand champion chicken at the county fair. A dang teenager beat me last year LOL. I want to win badly, so I bought some nice-quality cochin eggs on here.

Anyway... only one bantam cochin hatched, so I named her/him Trophy. Trophy had better win me the grand prize LOL. He/she hatched on April 28, so he/she is a week old today. I'm going to call her a GIRL cuz that's what I want her to be, but am ready for a boy too.

I have 30-something chickens outside, and they're all looking a bit tattered. The roos enjoy them, and they just aren't beautiful and sleek-looking right now. I don't want Trophy to look like that if she's expected to win the prize. So I've been contemplating keeping her inside as a pet permanently (haven't discussed it with DH yet). This thread has me convinced!

I'm hesitant to discuss it with DH because... well, because I'm a big softie with my animals, and I have too many in the house right now. My kids have one female long-haired cat that is a full-time housecat. They also have an inside-outside cat who is in and out whenever he wants, but sleeps inside every night. And then there is my 6yo chihuahua/poodle cross, and my husband's 5yo pit bull, and the 1yo Jack Russell terrier that are in and out all day, but sleep inside every night. And now... I've got three outside cats with kittens in my sewing room and laundry room. So that makes a grand total of 16 cats in the house right now, 3 dogs and 15 chicks.
jumpy.gif
Oh, and my daughter's guinea pig.

So Trophy needs to join the pack inside, but I haven't approached DH about it yet. I've got chicken diapers in the laundry room from when the girl in my avatar lived in the house with us after having her head picked bald and raw, but they're going to be too big for a bantam cochin. I hated keeping Snowball in the diapers anyway, because her bottom got so gross. I was a SAHM at the time she was in the house, but I wasn't always home, and no one but me would change her diapers, and it was awful after several hours. So I'd often keep her without her diaper, but run and grab one if I saw a car coming up the driveway. Didn't want anyone to know that I was wierder about my chickens than I actually let on...
lau.gif

Trophy already likes to sit on my shoulder under my hair. I don't know if she thinks it's her mama that hatched her, or if it just feels comforting and hidden. That's where she is right now, cute tiny baby. She is so itty bitty compared to the BIG chicks that she's in with.

This is Trophy at 2 days old.
13038_cimg0621.jpg

This is my girl, Snowball, who lived in the house. She was killed by a dog earlier this year.
hit.gif
This was the first time I put the diaper on her.
PB100001.jpg

And after she was used to the diaper.
PB200005.jpg

And this is Snowball sleeping with DH's pit bull.
PB130021.jpg

And here's a close-up of her face, just cuz she was so cute.
P6010025.jpg

Oh, plus I've got 4 black frizzles, 4 bantam GLWs and 4 blue silkies coming from Ideal later this month. They're supposed to hatch May 19, so I expect they'll be here by the 21st. YAY!!!
yippiechickie.gif
And I've got my fingers crossed for a good number of packing peanuts. Last time I ordered bantams from Ideal, I got 15 BR packing peanuts!!!
th.gif

We have outside chickens and my finance won't let me bring them in the house due to the poop factor.
tongue.png
If they don't wear a diaper, do they just go anywhere they please or can you actually train a house chicken? Sounds like fun having them inside!!

Im sure someone has asked this somewhere already, but does the diaper make the poop get stuck all over their feathers?

Quote:
It's not bad at all if the diaper is frequently changed. I line my diapers with paper towels, so when you change them, you just dump out the paper towel into the trash and put a new one in. But when Snowball would go for hours in hers, she was a total mess with poop stuck all over her bum. She had to have a bath regularly. I think I should have made my diapers slightly bigger in the back so there was more room for the poo to get away from the feathers. If I make more I'll change that in the design.

Back
Top Bottom