People with more than 10 chickens

I could have as many as I wanted, but my coop size and climate restrict me to about 15 during the winter. Went up to 23 my second winter, that was a mistake.
ChickenCabinFever is real and it's ugly!

I hatch new layers every year, but also slaughter cockerels and older hens each year.
Aart I have a question, heard from someone once that older chickens aren't as good for meat, the flavor and toughness of the meat apparently is different (thought maybe they might not know how to slaughter and clean chickens appropriately...?) what's your experience?

And how old is too "old" for chickens, at what age do you slaughter them. I have an older hen (don't know her exact age, wasn't mine originally) and I see she takes a long time laying, but she's a great mom, I'd say she's also a bit chubby but my husband assures me she hasn't really gained weight (I dubious about that...)

On my part we have two Roosters, and 14 chickens, plus 14 chicks (we had recent losses 1 hen and 3 chicks :( either dogs or possums or cacomixtle, we're not quite sure).

I like seeing the hens with their chicks, right now I'm sort of raising a chick that was born later, it's a bit stressful because don't know how good of a job I'm doing, and it' only has us because his brothers and sisters are with mom and this chick already thinks I'm mom and will only hang out with them for a bit and then come running in search for us (9day-old chick) We have enough space and no neighbors (at least not close by), my chickens free range which makes them very happy.

I'd guess the hardest thing is wanting to have all your equipment and proper facilities for your chickens and not being able to because of the economy, this Corona pandemic has really made life a bit complicated financially speaking where we live. Can't do enough to get things going at a pace we like. We're also beekeepers and have a fully grown producing apple orchard.

I don't think I'd mind having a bigger flock maybe up to 50, but no more than that.

Aart I have a question, heard from someone once that older chickens aren't as good for meat, the flavor and toughness of the meat apparently is different (thought maybe they might not know how to slaughter and clean chickens appropriately...?) what's your experience?

And how old is too "old" for chickens, at what age do you slaughter them. I have an older hen (don't know her exact age, wasn't mine originally) and I see she takes a long time laying, but she's a great mom, I'd say she's also a bit chubby but my husband assures me she hasn't really gained weight (I dubious about that...)
The oldest bird I have slaughtered was about 3-4 years old.
I've found, tho some disagree, that resting the cleaned carcass makes for more tender meat. The older the bird the longer I rest. That old girl rested for 3-4 days before I put her in the pressure cooker and after about 45 minutes her breast meat was tender enough for a sandwich. There are other ways to cook old birds( @Ridgerunner ) But I part them out, pressure cook for about 45 minutes, remove all the meat and cook the rest for another hour or two for the richest stock.
If the meat is tougher, I cut it onto smaller pieces for easier chewing in soups, stews, or other recipes.

Older birds can be more flavorful, they make great stock.
Older non laying hens can be full of fat, which is fantastic for those who love schmaltz.

I'm looking for honest opinions of your experiences. Is falling into the chicken math zone always better ( more breeds yay!) but maybe not? I know folks have different situations (selling eggs, need the meat , etc). I'm perfectly fine with extra eggs. Not using my birds for meat. I get too attached. I also greatly miss when my flock were chicks and being able to repeat that process every year would be awesome.

Basically urban owner here and I'm super jealous of you guys that can have as many as you want. Our city restrictions are not too bad but I have limitations to how many chickens we can own and have to monitor the noise. Boo!

I'm 34 working on a goal of someday owning a small home with a few acres. We are in Colorado and it is extremely expensive to obtain that kind of dream here, unless you go to a crappy part of the state. I don't want to leave CO 😋

Wondering if it's really worth it just to collect more chickens 😄 My current home is in a very sought after market and near everything + we wouldn't have too much concern over keeping stable jobs if life happens.
Depends what your plans are. I have at lease 6 different breeds of bantams. Mine are for breeding, hatching eggs, and chicks. If that is what your going for go for it! The problem I run into is the amount of room. I need to get more coops right now before I get more chickens. I have around 60 bantams. If your wanting breeding groups and have multiple roosters, you can get crow collars. I've seen them but I don't use them. If you do get them don't make the collar to tits.

Since Aart tagged me I'll respond. I probably would not have seen this otherwise.

Aart I have a question, heard from someone once that older chickens aren't as good for meat, the flavor and toughness of the meat apparently is different (thought maybe they might not know how to slaughter and clean chickens appropriately...?)
As chickens age the meat changes. It gains texture and flavor. It's really apparent with cockerels going through puberty when those hormones hit but it happens to the girls too, just a whole lot slower. Most of the chicken you buy at the store are Cornish X meat birds, slaughtered at 6 to 8 weeks of age. Those are still extremely tender and frankly don't have much flavor. But if that is what you are used to you may not like the flavor or texture of an older bird. Many people don't.

You can cook and eat any chicken of any sex and age. The French developed Coq au Vin, a way to make a gourmet meal out of an old rooster, the toughest and strongest flavored chicken there is. It's not so much about slaughter and clean but what you do afterwards. As Aart mentioned aging to get past Rigor Mortis is essential. Then it's how you cook it. There are a lot of different recipes for that. Chicken and Dumplings is a traditional way to make true comfort food and stretch one chicken to feed a large family. Aart mentioned pressure cooking, that's one way to tenderize the meat. Chicken stew or chicken soup is a great use for older chickens, just cook them long and slow at a simmer, never let it come to a full boil. You can use a crock pot set on low, again long and slow.

If nothing else make chicken broth or stock. An old rooster makes the best but an older hen does a respectable job. It will still be better than the broth or stock you buy at the store. Even when I cook younger chickens other ways I save the bones for broth. When I butcher I save certain parts like the back, necks, and feet for that broth. I put that in a crock pot covered with water and flavored with herbs and cook it on slow overnight, which usually translates to 18 to 24 hours. I strain the liquid out, de-fat it, and have great broth. And I pick the meat out of the solids to get delicious meat great for tacos, chicken salad, or to add to soup. I often eat in on a sandwich for lunch. Some people think that meat is too soggy (too tender) to use like that but I think it's great.

And how old is too "old" for chickens, at what age do you slaughter them. I have an older hen (don't know her exact age, wasn't mine originally) and I see she takes a long time laying, but she's a great mom,
To me they are never too old if you know how to manage them. When hunters bring ducks, pheasant, or geese home they have no idea how old they are but they still cook and eat them.

I'd say she's also a bit chubby but my husband assures me she hasn't really gained weight (I dubious about that...)
All hens (and pullets) pack on extra fat before they even start to lay. If you slaughter a hen and a rooster you'll be amazed at how much difference in fat there is. That fat is put there for a hen to live off of while she is broody. That way she can stay on the nest incubating eggs instead of having to be out looking for food and leading predators back to her nest. They do lose weight while broody but that's just fat put there for that purpose. That may be part of what you are seeing.

Possibly something else. Many hens are a lot more feathers than body. Some broody hens pluck out some breast feathers while incubating. When they molt you can often see a tremendous difference in apparent body size. You think they are really thin and in bad shape. Nope, you are just looking at their body normally hidden under all those feathers.

Hens can have different body types too. Some are just naturally rounder than others. Some seem to be wearing pantaloons, big and fluffy back there, while others have a trimmer, more game hen type look.

If she is living with the rest of the flock and eating what they eat and has done OK for this long she's probably OK.

When I butcher I save certain parts like the back, necks, and feet for that broth. I put that in a crock pot covered with water and flavored with herbs and cook it on slow overnight, which usually translates to 18 to 24 hours.

*nods**

I use my crockpot to make a stock so strong that it can be cut with a knife when cold.

I can do the same in the pressure cooker in about 3 hours.

I have been considering an Instant Pot. My mother bought me a traditional pressure cooker that I've never learned to use because she bought a small one, saying, "You won't always be feeding 6 people." It's packed in a box somewhere because I do still have teen boys at home. :D

Kirkwooder from NY- Hey since you are in NY if you ever do a road trip check out "The Mabee farm Museum. It was my family farm back in the 1700's. I will never see it since I wll never get to NY but I would love to get feed back.
farm.PNG
farmm.PNG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom