Percent of Hatches?

Quote:
buying eggs through the mail isnt bad at all.
smile.png
Esp if you cannot find something in your own state or close enough that you can drive to. I will always buy from my pals that are out of state and get them mailed to me.
smile.png

Quote:
not necessarily. there are many factors.

how long the package is in the mail system, how they are handled etc.

even if you use local eggs, there can still be a poor hatch. fertility is a major key.

I try to only buy shipped eggs that are relatively close, if I can find breeders that have what I want.

Eggs from CA to TN: 10%
Eggs from VA to TN: 60%

From our own eggs usually in the upper 80's to the low 90% range. However and yes I am bragging just a little the last 3 hatches from our RIR's have been 100%.

shipped eggs are hit and miss, zero to I think the best we ever got was about 85%. If we get 50% we are pleased.

Steve in NC

I never said do not get eggs mailed!! I do it fairly regular...just be aware that hatch % is usually less and there are folks out there that will mail eggs and not have a clue if they are fertile and not really care

First hatch using shipped pullet eggs- 8%
roll.png

The rest of my shipped chicken eggs have been 50-60%
Shipped button eggs: 30%

Now my own button eggs: 96% 24 of 25 hatched
Currently I have the first batch of eggs from my own chickens in the incubator with 100% developing normally.

I plan on ordering more eggs online. You just have to expect a lower hatch rate. I only want 3 or so hens from each of those breeds so a dozen eggs will usually get me extra even with a low hatch rate.

I am pretty new to hatching eggs...but from my limited experience it seems that if you get a few chicks to hatch...and have the ability to hatch eggs from those chicks in the future...It was worth the effort, even if the hatch rate was low.

For the record my first two attempts at hatching shipped eggs ranged somewhere around 45-50%
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom