1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Perch and nest boxes.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mrs Clutterbuck, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Mrs Clutterbuck

Mrs Clutterbuck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    My husband threw together a coop without looking into it too deeply. The problem I have is that the girls prefer to go up to the nest boxes to sleep and avoid the perch. I usually have to go and lift them down into the perch area or they will poop where they lay. I have 3 Brown Shavers, about 24weeks old. The perch is made from 2x4" timber.
    Do you think this is normal, a design fault, or a behavioural problem? What should I do about it?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. seanb

seanb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    Your perches should be higher than your nest boxes. I'm not an expert but in my limited experience, my chickens always roost as high as they can. Hopefully it's not a lot of work for you to reverse your situation and have your roosts higher than the nest boxes.

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, what seanb said!

4. Mrs Clutterbuck

Aug 25, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Wow [​IMG], thank you so much for that info, this is why I joined BYC. I'm sure I can rearrange the coop, question is now will that affect the laying habits as they have been laying up there?

5. grauerholzfarm

grauerholzfarm Out Of The Brooder

My nests have a bar to perch on to get into the nests. I have like an elbow joint on the perches so they can be lifted, blocking any poultry from getting in them. I usually do this around 6 before my babies try to get in the nests

6. Mrs Clutterbuck

Aug 25, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Good idea, thanks:D I will have to go back to the drawing board.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by