Perch Construction

Unfortunately not enough space inside the run for that.

When I let them out into the yard they do like to sit on milk crates and things.

Could you show us photos of your run?

One of the nice things about the concrete block + random wood perch arrangement is the way it adjusts to different spaces.

The 18" tall perch is already secured in the coop - not a good picture. But hopefully you get the idea!
1640638089026.jpeg

How about 2 cinderblocks with a 2x4 between them?
Just what I was going to suggest. You can put the 2x4 in the bottom holes, top holes or on top of the cinder block. Some cinder blocks have a groove on the top side that's the perfect width for a 2x4. Just be sure you sand the wood to avoid slivers. Ideally, round the top edges, too. You can do that pretty quickly with a hand plane and sandpaper.

Could you show us photos of your run?

One of the nice things about the concrete block + random wood perch arrangement is the way it adjusts to different spaces.
I dont have any pictures on my phone, but it is the 6ft eglu go run. It is probably like 12 to 15sq ft and I have 3 chickens. There is a house attached to one end of it. The run isn't a perfect rectangle so I cant really measure the exact square footage. It is kind of small run, but I do let them out of it a few times per week. They have normal chicken behaviors and no fighting or picking, so I think they are not too disappointed with their accomodations.

That's an awfully small run -- about half what's recommended.

Maybe you could cut a board to fit across the run, put two screws into each end leaving some sticking out, and use them to support the board on the crosswires?
At the time, when I ordered the run and bought the chickens I was recommended to have 5sqft of space per chicken or so. They are not in there 24/7. I agree, that once I had it, it did look small. I could buy an extension for it at some point.

All of the chickens I had before (granted it was a number of years ago) were all free range so I never worried about run sizes in the past.

Back
Top Bottom