perch for baby chicks?

Yardfarm Family

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 24, 2012
Mchenry County, Il
My chicks arrived via postal mail Tues. so they are probably 4-5 days old. Can I put a stick in their brooding box for them to practice perching on and how long should I be supplementing their water with vitamins/pro-biotic-/electrolyte? This is a first with chicks/chickens and I already love it, I just hope I'm doing a good job! Thanks, Claire

I either place a piece of 2x4 on end or most usually a fire log. They don't perch for a little while yet, but it give them different surfaces to explore. I wouldn't put anything with less than a 3 inch diameter.

I went to the pet store and bought them a small roost for parrots and cockatiels. They roosted on it almost immediately, and they were about two weeks old at the time. As they got bigger I had to replace the middle and screw in my own longer piece of wood so they would have room next to each other. They had that one until I put them out in their own coop at about two months old.

_MG_8246.jpg
This took me nearly 10 minutes. They love it!

aoxa, we have one level, but I like your idea! I just may have to steal it for our next brooder. We have many little ones on the way. Thank you for the fantastic idea!
jumpy.gif

Yes, you can put a perch in for you chicks. I keep one in my brooder all the time.

2011-02-01%252018.43.52.jpg

They'll only play on it at first, but by and by they'll gradually catch on.

As for the vitamins/pro-biotics/electrylytes once the chicks are recovered from their postal journey (call it three days) you can stop. If your chick starter is of good quality and reasonably fresh they'll get what they need from that and you'll have less scrubbing of the waterer.

AOXA That looks like a smaller version of our adult chicken perch.
I want the plans for your brooder please? WE made a small one from a storage container but we are having more birds now and could really use this large one.

Last edited:
AOXA That looks like a smaller version of our adult chicken perch. I want the plans for your brooder please? WE made a small one from a storage container but we are having more birds now and could really use this large one.
I used this https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/amferro103s-homemade-chicken-brooder - but I did not make it with the top detachable, the measurements are different, our box is more supported in the inside (we used a ton of 2x2's!) Worst part was the hardware cloth. I wouldn't really suggest it unless you have it in an area where you worry about predators. It cost me way too much money. I went through 3 rolls of it and I didn't even have enough to do the back part (I used some green fencing material). It measures 8 ft long by 3 ft wide. I currently have 36 chicks and 2 goslings in it. They fit comfortably @ 3 weeks old. Once they are six weeks, they will be integrated with our flock.
_MG_7606.jpg
It has hay all around it to keep heat in (and I get to sit and look in of course!) The roost looks similar to our adult one as well
_MG_6444.jpg
I thought it was adorable watching them perch like their parents :love
_MG_8258.jpg

Back
Top Bottom