perch material??

Ant

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
Coastal South Carolina
What is better for a perch? Bamboo or 2x2 or dowel rods? My girls are young and we are just getting their coop ready...what is best for their feet?
Thanks for any info...you guys have been great on this forum!!

I have 2x4s with rounded edges so their feet will be flat against the wood....that way when the weather gets cold their breast feathers will keep their toes covered.

My perch is round, but nearly as big as a 2x4. I read on here somewhere that when they get older, they like a bigger, flatter perch like a 2x4 turned wide side up because it's less work to stand on. So if I had it to do again, I'd probably do like newchick13 just suggested.

YMMV

Our coop was built by my son and the sons of the friend who gave us our first two hens, and they put a roost in made of a 2x4 with the narrow side up. I recently added another roost and also used a piece of 2x4 but it's turned the other way. I'm trying to get them to not sleep in the nest box, plus I wanted enough roosting space for 6 hens.

I cut down a young Poplar sapling. A sapling about 3 inches at the base and 1 inch closer to the top. My roost poles are at the 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" size. I made my roost to be taken apart so it these don't work well, I'll cut some more.
smile.png

I use a ladder style roost made out of 2X2 with rounded edges, been working for a couple decades. (See my BYC page for pics) Note: the roost is fastened on the high side by carriage bolts so it can pivot to lift up out of the way for cleaning out the "brown gold" from my sub-ground level deep litter composting pit once a year or so. The roost is suspended by chains and has a cable routed via pulleys over to the people-door with a counter-weight for ease of lift up.

I appreciate all the input...hey Darkmatter...i saw your byc page your place is beautiful! We have just a small run and coop for our 5 girls...until we hit the lottery, then they ll be living the high life! Lol

Back
Top Bottom