1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. ScenicViews

ScenicViews Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    Hello All:

Is there a certain width that the roosts should be in a coop? I had a coop built for me, by someone that has been keeping chickens for over 10 years. The perch that was put in the coop seems too skinny. It looks to be only about a 1/2 an inch wide. Should I put a wider piece of wood on top of it, and nail it down? 1/2 an inch seems like it would stress their feet. I have 7 six week old pullets getting ready to be put in their new house, and want to get everything set up before they are actually living in it. The coop is 4 feet wide, should I put another perch at the other end of the coop to give them room to roam? Right now they sleep all together in a big scrum, but I know when they get out side and have space to spread out, that they may need more room?

Any help will be much appreciated!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My roosts are the flat side of a 2x4. I agree, it looks to me like chickens would want a larger surface since their feet don't curl around a perch the way other birds' do. Many people use fat branches.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

1/2 inch is too skinny - try the 2 x 4 as Judy says. They work great.

4. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

The way I remember it when I was researching a few years back, standard breeds a rounded off 2 x 4 with the flat side up is recommended, bantams you can get by with a rounded off 2x2.

5. HotDesertChick

HotDesertChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Southern New Mexico
    I would support what Judy & Marktoo have already posted. Chickens aren't parakeets.

6. r-dale

r-dale Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2014
    Belize
    Odd but true, too skinny of a perch may or may not cause stress on the feet, but a narrow perch can/will cause breast deformations. Seen it happen. I guess balancing on a thin stick makes the breast grow in a non normal way. I got every one standing/sleeping on 1x3 (flat up) or big (4 to 5") bush sticks.

7. ScenicViews

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    Great thank you, that is what I thought.. will add a wider piece on top!

8. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    I switch from 2x4 to 2x3s, which are sometimes harder to find, but mid age birds find it easier to sit on and cover their feet, and OC adults have no problem sitting and covering their feet.

9. lonniedeohio

lonniedeohio Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2015
    WV
    My Coop
    See... this is why I love this site. I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about perch sizes. The coop I'm building I have 1" X 4" (flat side up) perches and my friend suggested I narrow them down to 2". He said they should be able to wrap their feet around it; which picturing their feet sounds logical. But through each step I've taken on my path to becoming a responsible chicken owner, I've looked here for tips and suggestions.

The 1x4's stay. Good timing on the post ScenicViews.

10. ScenicViews

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    Thank you @lonniedeohio I know! I love this place![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by