Perches extend full length of coop?

Seems like they like the corners...the problem for me is I made my poop board 6ft long...my coop is 8 ft so ill have 2 exposed feet one in each corner...but I don't want them agitated or uncomfortable so I'll build them into the corners and clean up the poop I guess, this is how it goes when you build without a plan..I just love jumping in and doing stuff...

What does this mean??? Poop board???

Seems like they like the corners...the problem for me is I made my poop board 6ft long...my coop is 8 ft so ill have 2 exposed feet one in each corner...but I don't want them agitated or uncomfortable so I'll build them into the corners and clean up the poop I guess, this is how it goes when you build without a plan..I just love jumping in and doing stuff...

What does this mean??? Poop board???

A poop board is a board under the roosting bars that catches the majority of their poop & leaves the floor much cleaner. The board is usually removable for cleaning. I have a poop hammock....well, my chickens have one, I mean. I cut open old feed bags & stapled them between 2 1x1's that hang below the roost bars with a bit of chain & some hooks. Every few days, I (carefully!) lift out the hammock & dump the poop into the compost bin. The floor of the run stays so much cleaner.
Our run has an A-frame roof with 3 ft of 'walls' that works as the coop. We put in 2 5ft roosting boards using 2x4's. The 2x4s are sandwiched between 2 pieces of scrap wood at each end so they are easy to take down, hose off, and get some healthy sunshine. The boards are about 18" apart and that seems to be a comfortable hopping distance for both the fat Orpingtons and my tiny cochin bantam. The roosting boards are 6 ft off the ground & most of the girls fly up & down but the Orpingtons use the ladder.
I would advise against the pine branches. I am all for free but those things would be impossible to clean & have lots of hidey holes for mites.

when we built our second coop, we put the perches in the corner and eliminated the poop boards. This is working out much better for me. All the birds seem to prefer the upper roosts, but it is more a first come, first served kind of thing more than it is pecking order. Very interesting to see who will come in early to get a good spot vs. who prefers to stay outside as long as possible. Sometimes, we will get five of these big girls wedged onto the very top perch.

We do have a ramp to get up to the bottom roost so there is not a big jump off, also an improvement and the hens seem to like

My girls all prefer the corner style roost as well. we have three at different hights in different corners that they like. My DH used some extra cresote posts laying around the barn and 45ed the ends so they are flush to the corners. every night the same ones are in the same spots.
big_smile.png

I have also discovered hight of roost doesnt coorespond with pecking order, although, Bailey my EE pullet is on a seperate roost all by herself b/c she is on the bottom of the pecking order.
sad.png

Hmm...interesting question. Just last week I rebuilt my roosts from a ladder style to a style where 4 roost boards are on the same level. My coop is 10' wide, most of the boards 8' long, so there is a gap on either side. However I had one board that was longer than the others and rather than cut it off to match, I decided to put it up as is. I used it as the board closest to the wall so that I could still walk up and down each end as needed. What I have found is that that board, where it sits in the corner, is the "prime" roosting place. Where the top roost used to be the most desirable place to roost, now that they are all on the same level. the roost that is deep in the corner is now the place where the highest status birds sleep.

This picture gives you some idea what I am talking about. You can see the 4 boards on the same level and although it cuts off, you can see that the board furthest from the camera continues to extend towards the wall. THAT is the corner the highest status birds prefer.....
I've been trying to research "same height/level" roosting bars and came across this. How far apart are yours and would you change this style of roost? I want to do this with a poop board below...and would like to prevent too much squable over who get the highest bar.

I built mine to wall to wall. Coop is 8' wide, so it was easy. Some of my birds like leaning against the wall, others want to be in the middle. Make the roosts easily removable, comes in handy at cleaning time.
Jack

900x900px-LL-c236d30b_55557_img_1365.jpeg
How far apart are your roosts? I'm thinking I would rather do same height roosts over stair step to prevent too much squable over the top roost. I'm thinking 4ft high with an elevated poop deck so I can save the floor space under the poo deck.

I've been trying to research "same height/level" roosting bars and came across this. How far apart are yours and would you change this style of roost? I want to do this with a poop board below...and would like to prevent too much squable over who get the highest bar.
I love this roost style and it still looks much the same as the day that photo was taken - just a little more pooped on - haha. I would have to measure to see how far apart the boards are - I'd guess about 12". This roost easily accommodates all our birds so they can either sleep close to buddies or spread out as they choose. Bed time is peaceful as they all take their places. It is attached with bolts that allow it to pivot up against the wall when cleaning. In short, if I were ever building a new coop, I would replicate this.

How far apart are your roosts? I'm thinking I would rather do same height roosts over stair step to prevent too much squable over the top roost. I'm thinking 4ft high with an elevated poop deck so I can save the floor space under the poo deck.

About 20" or so, on center. Far enough so one bird can't bother another on the next roost. (But sometimes, a bird can get willful, and hop over to the same bar.)

Back
Top Bottom