perching????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4chickengals, Apr 29, 2011.

1. 4chickengals

4chickengals New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    I have 5 hens...2 about 4 1/2 months and 3 about 3 1/2 months.....They have been in the coop for about 2 weeks full time....I have two perches inside the coop...but it seems like when they "perch" they hang out at the door opening leading to the ramp....Is there a way to get them to perch in the proper place????

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Editted because I misread the post. Sorry!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  3. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Give them some more time. They'll probably figure it out. I went so far as to put an auxiliary perch inside the door because that's where the young chickens seem to want to be. After they grow up a bit they learn where they're supposed to perch and move upstairs with the older birds.

-S

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What is your perch made of? Chickens' feet don't curl the way many other birds' feet do, and sometimes the perch is more round and narrow than they would like; they do better with a wider perch or a fat branch. I use the wide side of a 2x4 which seems to their liking.

And I agree, sometimes it just takes time. Mine have always eventually started perching on their own, sometimes not til they were of crowing/laying age. Some people have been able to resolve the problem by putting a window (doesn't have to open, just where they can see out) near the perch, or a dim light for a while at dusk, but light all night will disturb their rest.

Really, to me it's not a problem where they sleep, unless they choose the nest boxes. I have at times closed these off at night to stop this.

5. 4chickengals

4chickengals New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    Quote:Thanks...I just wanted to make sure...they are doing okay....

6. 4chickengals

4chickengals New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    Quote:The lower perch is a regular tree branch about 2" (plus in some places) in diameter. The upper perch is a two inch dowel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by