perching????

4chickengals

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
I have 5 hens...2 about 4 1/2 months and 3 about 3 1/2 months.....They have been in the coop for about 2 weeks full time....I have two perches inside the coop...but it seems like when they "perch" they hang out at the door opening leading to the ramp....Is there a way to get them to perch in the proper place????

Give them some more time. They'll probably figure it out. I went so far as to put an auxiliary perch inside the door because that's where the young chickens seem to want to be. After they grow up a bit they learn where they're supposed to perch and move upstairs with the older birds.

-S

What is your perch made of? Chickens' feet don't curl the way many other birds' feet do, and sometimes the perch is more round and narrow than they would like; they do better with a wider perch or a fat branch. I use the wide side of a 2x4 which seems to their liking.

And I agree, sometimes it just takes time. Mine have always eventually started perching on their own, sometimes not til they were of crowing/laying age. Some people have been able to resolve the problem by putting a window (doesn't have to open, just where they can see out) near the perch, or a dim light for a while at dusk, but light all night will disturb their rest.

Really, to me it's not a problem where they sleep, unless they choose the nest boxes. I have at times closed these off at night to stop this.

Quote:
The lower perch is a regular tree branch about 2" (plus in some places) in diameter. The upper perch is a two inch dowel.

Back
Top Bottom