1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Perfect over easy eggs - Lids

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by tsuninight, May 31, 2013.

1. tsuninight

tsuninight Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Maricopa, AZ
    So I'm sure many, if not most of you are already aware of this, but I apparently have lived 35 years without figuring this simple trick out.

"LIDS" I'm telling you it's like a whole new thing.

That's right. Every time I try to make over easy/medium eggs I flip them. How else am I supposed to cook both sides? I don't like runny whites, but I do like the yolks runny. Flipping works pretty well, but being as I'm not a particularly fantastic cook to begin with I have a 50/50 chance of breaking my yolk.

SO my mom visits this weekend and she has a way of taking over the kitchen (something I'm totally okay with because she's a fantastic cook, and there are times I'd rather stab myself in the foot than cook). she asks for a pan and then asks for a lid. The only thing I could think was, why do you want a lid you're making eggs.

I provide the requested tools and she tosses way too much butter in a pan, and then the eggs. Salt & pepper and then as the whites get close to being done she plops the lid on waits about 30 seconds, turns of the heat, and wanders off. I am sitting there staring at the pan like... oh. my. god... how have I never figured this out?!

My mom is looking at me with that, I love I will not laugh at you expression, while I marvel at the use of this thing called a "lid".

Perfect eggs.

IF anyone knew how much time I'd spent watching the cooking/food network/IPBN channels throughout my life you'd realize that sometimes I can be a bit oblivious. How have I missed this very simple piece of information.

So I try it out this morning, only I skip the butter, add a light coating of pam, and then when I put the lid on I add just a tad bit of water.

PERFECT over easy eggs.

No Yolks Harmed

This is awesome!

Thought a few of you may get a good laugh out of this story. I feel a little derpy, but at the same time pretty darn happy that I learned it now. Better late than never!

1 person likes this.
  2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]Great story! [​IMG]

3. ArmFarm

ArmFarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    I have never heard if this trick either. Thanks for sharing.

4. jesirose

jesirose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    McKinney, TX
    That's so funny!

I always make mine "in a basket" so you have to flip em. You cut a hole in a piece of bread (use a biscuit cutter or something) and break the egg into it on the griddle. Then flip it halfway. Then you have a nice over-medium egg with toast for dipping :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  5. erlibrd

erlibrd Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Butter is better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. tsuninight

May 6, 2013
    Maricopa, AZ
    HAHA. Indeed I do love butter, however, on a diet, cutting some out is the better choice since I already put some on my English muffin.

7. BryanMaloney

BryanMaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    Steam will save the world!

Too obscure?

8. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I never knew about lids either! Thanks for enlightening us!

9. tsuninight

May 6, 2013
    Maricopa, AZ
    :D

One thing I've started doing is just putting the lid on right after I put in the water (which is when I put the eggs in). Since I usually make more than just eggs I seem to get more consistent results with this. :D

10. tsuninight

May 6, 2013
    Maricopa, AZ
    haha Do we get flying steam airships and spiffy outfits too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by