Perhaps I am nuts??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by addicted2chicks, Mar 29, 2009.

1. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Been busy today setting up the brooder. Well one of them. Going back out to make 2 more soon as we have a big order of chicks coming in this week and then also some guineas. So anyways, got the 1st brooder set up then went out to get some bricks for the drinker to sit on. We have tons of bricks on our property and they are all stacked nicely on pallets for each type of brick. The previous owner did that and we will put them to use eventually. So I grabbed some bricks and brought them in and washed them with soap and a bristled brush, actually scrubbed them. Am I crazy or just overly protective of my new babies that have not even arrived, let alone won't even hatch til tomorrow?? lol

2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:i say overly protective,i am the same way

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Nothing crazy about that, nothing at all. I ran my bricks through the dishwasher.

Imp- the only clean thing in my house is the bricks.

4. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    i can't do thinbs like that or my prants wold throw me it to the chicken coop.

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My DDH used to keep a brick in his frig when I met him, it was the only thing in there not even ketcup lol I asked him why and he said to hold the frig down lol

I think you both are nuts but I am just as crazy since i washed my pavers also [​IMG]

6. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

lol.
    today I soaked the waterer and mason jar for the feeder in bleach water.
    added, I got this from a friend who used it last year for ducklings....so maybe there is reason for my madness.
    But I totally know what you mean. I made sure that everything going into that brooder was spic 'n' span.
    =]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Not nuts, but try not to overdo it. IMO, the only way for chicks to develop good strong immune systems is to be exposed to germs. A body can't develop an immunity to something it's never been exposed to. There's clean enough to be healthy and then there's overcleaning.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  8. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:There's nothing healthful about exposure to bleach... Be careful, folks. [​IMG]

9. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

i cleaned with bleach bc the waterer had been used before by ducks. wanted to make sure there were no germs coming from the other flock. I rinsed them with warm water after soaking them in bleach solution (approx 1/2 cup to about 3 gal h20). now I'm worried about the bleach. maybe i should just wash them out with dish detergent to get the bleach off.
    geez. can't win. [​IMG]

10. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Didn't go that far. Our brooder is as close to natural as possible. 1 week on medicated feed, fresh water each day, and alfalfa hay to peck and scratch at with no losses.
    4 weeks later they are out of the brooder in the coop and by the weekend will be going out into a run

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by