Perhaps why I have no eggs in the nest boxes...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Aug 14, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]
    The barn kittens have made themselves at home.

[​IMG]
    Note that shorty there is resting his sweet little head on the fake egg I put in to entice the freeloading chickens to actually lay.

(The chickens are only 14 weeks old so they are actually too young to lay yet. They are cohabitating with the barn kitties until the kittens are a little bigger and able to live outdoors on their own. Okay... they are cohabitating until I'm less neurotic and willing to let the kittens out. They are probably just fine out on their own right now...)

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    nice cat house! now you just need some scratching posts![​IMG]

how cute are they!

3. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    And the cute barn kitties have no interest in your chickies? Those are good pics! So Cute!

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    That cracked me up! I love the pictures.

I totally understand about not letting the kittens out yet. One of ours is six months old and we still put her inside every night.

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    That is SO cute! I also understand keeping your kittens in until a certian age. We have lost so many kittens that we now do the same thing with ours. They get the old chicken coop. We call it the "kitty coop"!

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    The barn kitties and the chickens have a love/hate thing going on. The little grey loves to lay in wait, only to spring out and chase. A couple of good thwacks to the head and he toned that back. He still gives chase every now and then, but as the chickens are about twice his size and are quick to peck, he is now choosing his battles carefully.

The little black and white has never shown any interest in chasing. I think he'd curl up and nap with the chickens if they'd let him. They peck at him when he gets too close though so he keeps a healthy distance.

There are an embarrassing number of kitten and chicken pictures on my blog site. Feel free to hit it up if you'd like to see more!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  7. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My mom has cats that are 3 and 4 years old that she still locks in the chicken coop every night...
    When her cat has kittens she has them right in the coop, right next to the latest hen to hatch eggs and raise babies...
    The kittens run around the chicks and adult birds all the time. She has never lost a bird to one of her cats yet.

8. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    cute kitties now teach them to lay eggs

9. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Adorable! [​IMG]

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Awww.[​IMG]
    Our current cats are housecats but when living in the country we still would put our cats in a building at night after constantly losing many to coyotes.
    Those cats look VERY comfortable![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by