Peritonitis Contagious?

If you are looking for Bird Antibiotics that normally need a script Try "Allbirds.com" They are also willing to assist. The last time I contacted them 3 yrs ago they were selling Baytril. Of course you will pay a bit more so try to make sure you know what your treating so you buy the appropriate medication.
However, there instruction on how to use the Nystatin powder wasn't correct. They mostly deal with indoor Birds & not Chickens. When you apply the powder to Laying pellet "for example" it will fall off to the bottom & then it gets wasted. In addition the fungus will build tolerance. I didn't have luck with it myself. Its great for Intestinal but with Crop Fungus the lump is 99% of the time on the bottom Right OR upper Right corner. This is a Contact medication. The only way you can be sure it reaches is to "Gently" massage the crop. Another issue is that the darn fungus has a slimey wall it builds around it(Its as if it has a defense mechanism so to speak). All in all with the various tactics I used the best was either the LA 200 at 1.2cc every other day(for 5-6lb) for 7-10 days(closer to 10 if severe). The other was I used the Oxine in the water with a few drops of Oregano Oil swirled in really good. Poultry pedia has decent instructions for the Oxine. I personally added a few more drops & the Oregano oil.

Be sure to inspect & clean everything in your coop including your roof,under feed trays,etc. You can use the Oxine to also disinfect. The reason is that if they get re-infected these remedies may not work the second time around. Your Chickens Breast can only take so much also. My Hens got re-infected. I had Mold in a NEW Roof between the Paper & the Roof. It had dripped a little & I patched it. The moisture got locked in. I couldn't see it until I ripped the Roof apart. MAKE SURE your Roof as adequate pitch & you have good cross ventilation!!!!
I battled for 2-3 yrs. They got re-infected a total of 3xs before I figured it out. I even did a humane Euthanasia with Necropsy with UC Davis & they couldn't even tell me it was Fungus. They supposedly did a culture. IF YOU TRY A COUPLE THINGS & IT DOESN'T WORK AND YOU LOVE YOUR BIRDS YOU WILL BE BETTER OFF GOING TO A "GOOD" AVIAN VET THAT CAN DO A CULTURE. THEN YOU KNOW WHAT STRAIN YOUR DEALING WITH. YOU MAY SPEND A LOT OF MONEY BUYING THE WRONG MEDS. tHE REALLY GOOD ONES LIKE ITRACONASOLE YOU WILL NEED TO GO THROUGH A VET. THE PH HAS TO BE RIGHT WITH BIRDS. I WENT THROUGH AN OUTSIDE VENDOR & THE FIRST BATCH WAS GREAT BUT THE 2ND WAS NOT.
GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS!

Back
Top Bottom