Permanent Hoop Coop In Progress_Update!!! See Post #34!!!!!!!!!!!!

I printed your guide out a few weeks ago. I like this design, and looks easy enough to do. Nice job and I appreciate the step-by-step guide!

I love it!! I plan to do a dome shaped run for my permanent run. Just have a temp one up now I built with some scrap 2x4's from a wall demolition in our basement.

Did you use fencing panels or rolls? I'm curious because I was thinking the panels would be stiff and sturdy enough that they would create their own dome with out the need for wood framing...? I've seen them used to create arbors for grapes and vines in my garden forum so I guess I never thought about the need to frame it in.

Quote:
We have a cattle panel hoop coop very similar to this. When we first build it, we didn't add any center support as we thought the panels would be stiff/sturdy enough too.

We were wrong (click on pic to make it larger):

Coop was fine with a light snow:

Not so much when we had close to a 1/2" of ice with several inches of snow on top of it.
roll.png

I didn't realize when I took this pic that the top was starting it's collapse, I was just out taking pretty pix (big sigh):

The collapsed center:

So, we got to spend a while outside in the snow and make the center support that we should have done in the first place.

The piled up snow in the second and third pix are from us trying to keep the worst of the snow brushed off the top of the coop. This was a really wet snow and between the weight of the ice and the snow that fell after we went to bed did us in.

this is great to find! We purchased an old pig farm and the fencing/panels are everywhere! Even though they are not as big, we have enough to make something like this! I am planning my coop now, to build through the fall and spring...now I know when to get in the deep grass and find those panels again! (ie in the spring before the grass/weeds over take it again!) Thanks for the pics! and the center support would be a must here in southern Michigan! I will post pics after mine is complete...I am thinking my 6x10 shed is going to be converted...maybe sooner than he thinks!

Back
Top Bottom