permanent marker?????????New goslings......

missionsix

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
Sunriver , OR (Bend)
I would like to remove the band from my new gosling. Unfortunately they are identical and I need to mark one. I was thinking a of a mark/dot on the top of the foot with permanent marker?
newgoslings003.jpg

My 2 other goslings (5 weeks) were much nicer than I anticipated. Couple of nips, but, nothing serious. I would guess that they shouldn't be left un-attended with the other 2?

Last edited:
With how much goslings play in their water, I've never been able to get a mark to work. Your best bet is to use zip ties as leg bands. When the goslings outgrow the ties, snip them off and give them a larger one.

As long as you cut off all of the extra tie I haven't found it to be dangerous to the goslings. I zip tie my goslings to keep track of bloodlines, hatches and genders. It's a whole lot easier.

The only other way to keep them separated out is through a physical mark of some sort, like hole-punching the webbing, snipping off the nail on the dewclaw or cutting a notch out between the toes. If you do this when they're young there's almost no blood and after a quick yelp the babies act as if nothing happened - no one limps or keeps crying.

Back
Top Bottom