Permectrin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylilchix, Jul 16, 2010.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls have mites, and I need to do a major clean out. I called the local feed store and the only product they have from mites is Permectrin. I haven't used this before and was wondering if I would need to toss eggs if I powdered them with it?
    Thanks,
    Sonja

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Permectrin is okay. You must dilute it with water at the rate specified on the label for poultry. A couple of cautions, however. Do not get the spray in the eyes. And, the directions say not to re-spray for 2 weeks, but I would ignore that. You need to re-spray within 10 days to kill any newly hatched mites before they mature and lay eggs. Alternatively, you might consider using Sevin dust - a garden insecticide that is available at many hardware stores. I've even seen it at Wal-Mart. This is what I use. It is inexpensive, works very well, easy to apply to both birds and environment. Sevin is safe for the birds. It is actually recommended by poultry experts at the University of California.

3. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the help. I've seen the sevin dust, but I thought there was a week long egg toss period after using it.

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that it was even recommended that you toss the eggs for almost a week with Permectrin. Would it shock you to know that I use Sevin liberally in my vegetable garden? I don't plant any type of root vegetable (carrots, beets, turnips, etc.) without first dusting the soil with Sevin to prevent worms and I also dust plants for aphids, cut beetles, rolly-polys, and other bugs. If Sevin is safe to put on my edible veg, it doesn't seem to make much sense that it would somehow be unsafe to eat the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by