Permethrin spray

Small whitish moving specks are lice, and very tiny moving dark colored specks are mites. Neither are good for your birds! Wild songbirds are the main vectors for both, at least in a closed flock like mine. Miserable!
Mary

Small whitish moving specks are lice, and very tiny moving dark colored specks are mites. Neither are good for your birds! Wild songbirds are the main vectors for both, at least in a closed flock like mine. Miserable!
Mary
with the spray also do the base of the tail ...you probably wont need to spray them in a week . but check them to make sure .

They look like the lice eggs I've seen.....but I've never seen mite eggs.
I use the headlight at night to see the bugs themselves, gotta be quick tho, as they are.

Mary
Ok thank you!

I changed shavings, and sprayed some birds (couldn’t catch 2 of them, will do tonight). I accidentally did more than recommended, is that ok? I don’t think that would have been enough because some had it on their bums and under their wings.

I changed shavings, and sprayed some birds (couldn’t catch 2 of them, will do tonight). I accidentally did more than recommended, is that ok? I don’t think that would have been enough because some had it on their bums and under their wings.
What do you mean by 'more'?
Good to give a squirt around neck too.
Get the squirts onto the skin.

What do you mean by 'more'?
Good to give a squirt around neck too.
Get the squirts onto the skin.
I just sprayed where I saw them, I didn’t necessarily think about quantity, and yes I made sure to get it on the skin. I checked pretty much all over every bird, but I will do a night check with a flashlight tonight.

ChickenMites.jpg

I can't believe I just found this page. I use to use a small sprayer and a heavy heavy mix on the roost and under the bedding when doing a clean out then a normal spray on legs and on top of the pine shavings. Now mostly for the wife I got a 2 gal sprayer. Easy to get the walls the floor of the coop instead of just the floor in the chicken tractor, all the nest boxes before putting hay in and just being thorough.

I just sprayed where I saw them, I didn’t necessarily think about quantity, and yes I made sure to get it on the skin. I checked pretty much all over every bird, but I will do a night check with a flashlight tonight.
I spray a few squirts around vent and belly, one under each wing, on back of neck.
It will spread a bit around a bit on skin.

Back
Top Bottom