Permethrin spray

Pics
For the first time ever, tonight we sprayed the birds and coop with spray, rather than powder. LOVE IT! I bought a half gallon sprayer, and permethrin liquid concentrate. Mixed it and treated the group and coop in a very short time. No muss, no fuss, no dust everywhere. If it works, never going to use the poultry dust again. Mary
I was warned not to let permethrin get wet and get to the ground. It's very toxic to the environment. When we used the permethrin powder to treat the lice (worked like magic) - we had to be so careful not to let any powder touched the ground of our skin.

Hi! I just found mites on my birds and have some questions.

They appear to only be on my two oldest birds. Should I still treat all (going to use the Permetherin spray that people were recommending at the beginning of this thread) or just the ones I find mites on?

I’m cleaning the coop today. After I clean I will spray and then do I put down more shavings? Won’t the mites come back and infest the new shavings?

Are they contagious to humans? I have long hair and I don’t want them in there. Obviously I will put it up before doing anything with the coop/birds. I know that I might get some on me but I was wondering if they will infest humans.

Is there a treatment method that you have found successful? How long to treat, for example.

Hi! I just found mites on my birds and have some questions.

They appear to only be on my two oldest birds. Should I still treat all (going to use the Permetherin spray that people were recommending at the beginning of this thread) or just the ones I find mites on?

I’m cleaning the coop today. After I clean I will spray and then do I put down more shavings? Won’t the mites come back and infest the new shavings?

Are they contagious to humans? I have long hair and I don’t want them in there. Obviously I will put it up before doing anything with the coop/birds. I know that I might get some on me but I was wondering if they will infest humans.

Is there a treatment method that you have found successful? How long to treat, for example.
First find what kind of mites, here's a good run down:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Treat all the birds, then treat again in 7-10 days.

They can get on humans, but can't live on us for long, take a shower after treating.

First find what kind of mites, here's a good run down:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Treat all the birds, then treat again in 7-10 days.

They can get on humans, but can't live on us for long, take a shower after treating.
Ok thank you, and then that’s it? I feel so bad that I didn’t check earlier.

They are definitely lice. The “eggs” at the base of the feathers look exactly like the picture.

Thank goodness, getting lice or bedbugs is my personal nightmare. I’ll do that, thank you!

I would spray or thoroughly use poultry dust on all of the birds and thoroughly spray inside the coop too. When You put down the new shavings you can spray them also or put poultry dust down in them. I also put poultry dust in my nest boxes. Permethrin does not kill the pests eggs so repeated weekly sprayings for a couple of weeks or so is necessary as it will kill them after they hatch out. My birds have had both mites or lice at one time or another. I used a very fine toothed comb and got the nits off of the feathers. Good luck...
Lice.png

Oh and do I spray all over, or just the affected area? On the bird I mean.
With lice, just treat the birds.
Roost mites are the ones you need to douse the whole coop,
because they don't live on the birds

If you're seeing lots of eggs, might be good to do 3 treatments 7-10 days apart.
Just keep checking for live bugs.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

With lice, just treat the birds.
Roost mites are the ones you need to douse the whole coop,
because they don't live on the birds

If you're seeing lots of eggs, might be good to do 3 treatments 7-10 days apart.
Just keep checking for live bugs.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
I will get pictures when I get home and post to be 100% sure these are lice.

I’m due for a coop clean anyway, so might as well do it anyway

Back
Top Bottom