Permethrin treatment inconsistencies

Tbrad

Chirping
Jul 20, 2022
After much research I settled on .25 of the 10% solution in a 32 oz (1 quart) spray bottle being that for poultry the label says 1:200. However, I'm not entirely confident it was strong enough but I wanted to do something rather than nothing until I got a better idea.

I sprayed the whole coop with the exception of the bedding other than a fine mist because it was almost time for the ladies to come home to roost. I sprayed the birds directly on the vent, under the wings and at the base of the neck. Not 100% I reached skin on the wings. I intend to clear out/burn the bedding this weekend and retreat but should I add more bedding since I'll have to treat again every so often (my plan is every 5 days) I don't want to waste and/or give the bugs cover

I wanted to know if I did it wrong, can someone advise me the better way and should we refrain from eating these eggs? If so, how long?

I feel better after spraying because not all my birds look affected by the feather lice or mites but I just want to be extra sure. Even with the mixture I was terrified to maybe waking up to dead chickens (my first time using this)

As always, anything helps!

You did good! Mixture is a little different than I usually use.
I use 0.5 %- 6.4 (6 1/2 I'm lazy and not exact) ounces to a gallon of water on my birds. I either spray vent, under wings and neck OR
I'm lazy and
It's hot here-i use a bucket and dip entire bird (up to neck), turn em loose in run to drip dry. Then pour remainder in sprayer and spray coop.
Again, I'm lazy so I don't replace bedding until I've treated 2 times. I DO replace nest box stuffing, but liberally sprinkle poultry dust (permethrin) under and on top of the shavings. Sometimes the birds get dusted also.

We remove all the bedding once, with the first spraying, and generally that gets most of the mites. Spray every inch of the coop inside, and all the birds, even if some look bug free. They aren't!
Then we add some permethrin dust under the shavings or hay in the nest boxes.
It's been working fine, given that keeping wild birds out of the coop is hard!
As of today, our chickens are again locked in, because AI was found in a flock in the next county. :he So no free ranging, again.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom