permethrin

NevadaEmma

Songster
Mar 24, 2021
I imagine this has been asked before, but...

My husband noticed that our Salmon Faverolles rooster was scratching his neck vigorously this morning. He never really developed a full mane of neck feathers but he did look like he had less that usually. I picked him up to inspect him (my SF roosters are wonderful about me holding them, at least for a little while), and noticed small black bugs particularly on his comb and wattles. I picked them off and continued looking for other in his neck feathers. One of the bugs got squashed and was full of blood.

The only thing I have available is Vermectin which my husband sprayed his head and neck with while I protected his eyes. He was good about it, but when he had enough he let me know.

I have noticed a few bugs in the same area on my other rooster, but have not checked all the hens yet.

We will completely clean the coops, change the bedding (hemp) and I will dust with diatomaceous earth before putting the new hemp down.

Long winded I know, but for the Permethrin, do people use a spray, a dust or ...

Some sprays for horses include products not approved for poultry. Stick with permethrin spray, least expensive as a concentrate you mix with water at home, or the permethrin dust.
And whatever you use, ALWAYS wear at least a N95 face mask and long sleeves, and wash everything afterwards.
Mary

Using the liquid concentrate for chickens, just dilute it according to the instructions and put in a spray bottle. Then spray the chickens entire body and face.

Back
Top Bottom