Permits for ducks in florida?

MangoDuck

Chirping
Feb 1, 2022
Hello, so, I’ve heard mixed responses and i would like to confirm what is true and what isn’t. I’m currently in florida, and I own two pekin ducks and a muscovy. I know you don’t need a permit to own pekin ducks or muscovy ducks, but what about call ducks, domesticated mallards or runners?
I would like to get another duck that isn’t a pekin or a muscovy, and I was curious if I needed a permit to own them? They would be pet ducks.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
ruthhope is in FL hopefully she can answer.
Permitting for back yard chickens and ducks varies by local government and depends on land use or land development designation. I live in St Johns County in a Residential, Single Family RS3 zone [essentially suburban neighborhood] where back yard chickens [maximum flock size 5, no roosters] have only been eligible for permits from April 2021. Back yard ducks are not permitted, and duck owners must stay under the radar and cultivate good relations with their neighbors.

Livestock is permitted on land zoned open rural, OR

Permitting for back yard chickens and ducks varies by local government and depends on land use or land development designation. I live in St Johns County in a Residential, Single Family RS3 zone [essentially suburban neighborhood] where back yard chickens [maximum flock size 5, no roosters] have only been eligible for permits from April 2021. Back yard ducks are not permitted, and duck owners must stay under the radar and cultivate good relations with their neighbors.

Livestock is permitted on land zoned open rural, OR
Thank you for the information! I will keep that in mind 🙂

The only thing I have heard about permits for ducks in Florida is that one is needed for Mallards.
Regardless of where you live or the final destination of the mallards, you need a permit from Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC) to be in possession of mallards in Florida. Failure to have an FWC permit while in possession of mallards in Florida is a violation. It would be nigh on impossible to get a FWC permit unless one lives in an Open Rural land zone.

Regardless of where you live or the final destination of the mallards, you need a permit from Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC) to be in possession of mallards in Florida. Failure to have an FWC permit while in possession of mallards in Florida is a violation. It would be nigh on impossible to get a FWC permit unless one lives in an Open Rural land zone.
Ahh okay 👍 thank you! I could’ve just looked this up come to think of it 😅

Last edited:
You can have runners. Limits all depend on where you live. I go by Pinellas county register and can have up to 5. I think you need permits for Call and Mallards. Both are breeds that are unable to be shipped/imported into the state.

By the way… Runners are awesome. I have 2. My other ducks are a Pekin and a Pekin/Rouen mix.

Back
Top Bottom