Perpindicular Roosts possible?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by harvey, Jan 24, 2009.

1. harvey

harvey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Hello,

Due to getting more chickens, I need to add another roost to my coop. Because of space considerations, I was wondering if it is possible to add a perpindicular roost instead of parallel. I'm thinking the chickens may peck each other with perpindicular roosts. Your thoughts?

Thanks

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I think that may be possible as long as there the same height. This will prevent late night fighting for the highest roost.

3. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Since perpendicular is defined as a straight line at right angles to another line (corner setup), the only opportunity to peck at each other would be in the corner.
    I have 3 adjoining walls with a perpendicular setup and do not have any trouble with pecking while the birds are roosting. I don't see how this would be any worse than birds side by side on a single roost. Even parallel would probably not be a problem since birds on the same perch will often be facing in opposite directions anyway.

4. harvey

harvey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Thanks for your replies,

Here is a simple drawing of my considered roost. My main worry is for the chickens sitting at A,B or C. The potential for the chickens to sit face-to-face or face-to-tail instead of the normal side-by-side raised my concern about pecking issues. Thank you for your thoughts.

X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    (A)
    X
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX(B)XX
    X
    (C)
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I've added roosts like that to mine and it works well. As far as them being in closed proximity to each other don't worry. They work it out.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Some people on BYC have 'em, and I've never heard anything said against 'em, so I can't see why not try it [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by