Persistant yawning 7 week old Orpington

SamVern

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
Central Georgia
Okay... I need advice!! Our 7 week old Orpington has been persistently yawning. This bird has not been exposed to the main coop, and is still in the brooder pen.
barnie.gif

None of the other birds in the pen are exhibiting this behavior. S/he seems to be eating and drinking fine. No oozing from the nares, no coughing or sneezing. Eyes appear clear and normal.

Please advise!

I set up an IP chicky cam in my brooder with an old android phone. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed one of them sitting on the roost, yawning every few seconds over and over. I watched for several minutes and she just kept yawning. I let it go but kept an eye out for it and never noticed it again. I wouldn't worry too much if no other issues are noticed.

Birds normally yawn to adjust their crop or gizzard, or just for the heck of it. If she is eating and drinking normally as you stated, I wouldnt worry too much about it. To be sure there isnt a problem, tomorrow morning when you let her out of the hen house, feel her crop to make sure it isnt full.

Birds normally yawn to adjust their crop or gizzard, or just for the heck of it. If she is eating and drinking normally as you stated, I wouldnt worry too much about it. To be sure there isnt a problem, tomorrow morning when you let her out of the hen house, feel her crop to make sure it isnt full.
Last night her crop was full.... This morning her crop was empty... good sign!

Her persistent yawning was minimal at sunrise also. Then she started back up with full open-beak yawning, and hasn't stopped. I'm not saying that it is on and off... it is persistent/constant

She is fairly active considering she is in a brooder pen. When she is napping, she continues with this yawning... which results in poor rest... I'm sure.

Could this be early respiratory illness despite lack of other typical symptoms?

Normally there are other symptoms with respiratory diseases as you already know. Besides, respiratory diseases are contageous and other birds would be showing symptoms.
Has she been raising her head/neck up in the air grunting or honking, head shaking or scratching her neck?

Raising the head half the time to yawn... no honking. As for the scratching... no more than usual.
As for the shaking... only when you are petting and get too close to the ear... but all my chicks do that.

There are several possibilties that come to mind; capillary worms in the esophagus, a fungal issue, or something stuck in the crop/gizzard.
To start with the least invasive treatment for the crop/gizzard; give her a small piece of bread with olive oil on it to eat. Then massage from her neck down past her crop in a downward motion. She will either puke or pass whatever is stuck...if that's what it is. Then try giving her tomato juice via eyedropper orally. You can put a few drops on the side of her beak to drink. Give her three eyedropperfuls of the tomato juice...be patient and take your time. The tomato juice should help get things moving also.
For a fungal problem, it's possible only one bird could be infected with spores which could eventually lead to aspergillosis. Nystatin can be given orally. Some folks have used monostat orally, there's a thread in this forum in regards to using monostat for fungal problems. Just type it in the BYC search box above.
Finally, it could be capillary worms in the esophagus. You can purchase Safeguard liquid goat wormer at a feed store and dose her orally undiluted 1/2cc of the liquid once a day for 5 days straight. Worm her first thing in the mornings prior to her feeding.
Hopefully one of these treatments will take care of the constant yawning. Dont try and do all the treatments at once. Give them time to do their job. Good luck.
Here's the link for the monostat if you have to refer to it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630307/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom