Persistent broody issues

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I've been having all kinds of broody issues this summer. This could all be solved if I had a way to shut the broodies in a crate with their eggs, but I don't. At least not right now.

Starting a month ago, I had 4 Black Australorps, all 1st time mothers, sitting on 4 nests. Three are ground level nesting boxes. One is not. The 3 ground level broodies have been playing musical chairs with their boxes and then after a couple of chicks hatched, they abandoned the rest of their collective eggs and are collectively raising their chicks.

That left the 1 lone broody. She has been trying as long as the others but her eggs haven't hatched yet. I candled her eggs yesterday and she had several who are really close. However she keeps leaving the nest for longer and longer periods but hasn't exactly QUIT brooding yet. I went in the coop today to check because she left the nest again. Except while she was gone, I had an egg eater who raided the nest. She had consumed most of 1 egg, killing the chick inside who was fully formed. There were 2 more eggs who were cracked. I don't know if they pipped on their own or if the egg eater opened them. They were moving and I thought I heard a peep. There is another hen (buff Orpington) who just turned broody in the past few days. She was sitting in her nest. I don't think she has any eggs because I just cleared that nest yesterday morning. I took the two eggs which seemed like they were pipped/open and put them under the Orpington. I have no idea if she will accept them if they hatch but I figured they were safer under her than left in the unguarded nest with an egg eater on the rampage.

There is still quite a few eggs in the BA broody's nest. Should I move them to the Orpington too, even if the BA hasn't fully stopped being broody?

I'm just worried about more chicks being killed by the egg eater. And I'm not exactly sure WHICH chicken is the egg eater or I'd just lock her up....

It's always best to separate setting hens. Sounds like you have experienced most of the problems that can arise when you don't. If possible block the remaining nest, and give whoever is still setting reliably the most developed eggs. Most hens can only handle a few eggs. Too many and they have troubles covering and turning them.

If the eggs aren't all around the same stage of development, than those that don't hatch within the first day or two of whichever egg hatches first will be abandoned.

Unfortunately there's no one good way to proceed.

Well it doesn't look like my plan worked. 😕 I went out to clean the coop today and decided to check the "pipped" eggs that I had moved under the buff Orpington broody. She was still sitting patiently on her eggs but no chicks. I took out every egg from under her (much to her displeasure) and none of them were cracked or pipped... So I have NO IDEA what happened to those 2 eggs. I'm certain they were alive and moving/pipping when I put them under her. I checked under her very carefully. No egg shell pieces. No dead chicks. Although I did find ONE dead chick elsewhere in the coop but I don't know if it was one from those eggs or from the other chicks who hatched earlier and got squashed by the hens. (This chick looked squashed and was in front of their nesting box).

So it's a mystery... 😔 Not much I can do except try to get some smaller dog crates to use for next time.

I ordered two smaller 24" dog crates. They should be here sometime this week. I'll probably move the two broodies (one Black Australorp & one Buff Orpington) into them if their eggs haven't hatched by the time they get here.

Through all this broody madness, I think I've lost around 5 or 6 chicks....not counting the eggs I tossed thinking they were dead (they weren't).

Hard lesson, indeed. :(

I ordered two smaller 24" dog crates. They should be here sometime this week. I'll probably move the two broodies (one Black Australorp & one Buff Orpington) into them if their eggs haven't hatched by the time they get here.

Through all this broody madness, I think I've lost around 5 or 6 chicks....not counting the eggs I tossed thinking they were dead (they weren't).

Hard lesson, indeed. :(
Keep an eye out at garage sales and flea markets, etc. They tend to have them as well.

Thanks! The bottoms have those pull out trays so it is a solid bottom. Or did you mean around the bottom of the sides?

Incidentally, I ordered them from Walmart. They were supposed to be here on Wed. Still haven't arrived. I'm quite aggravated....

The Black Australorp broody is still sitting on her eggs. None have hatched yet. I haven't re-candled them. Will probably do that tonight.

The Buff Orpington hasn't moved. I haven't seen her get up to drink or anything. She is still sitting on 5-7 eggs.

And now I have an Ameraucana that is also broody. No idea how many eggs she is sitting on. She has moved nesting boxes though but has been sitting on her current nesting box for at least 2 days. I will leave her where she is for now because she is well away from the others and not likely to be bothered but safe from predators.

@TJAnonymous, I hate to rub it in, but I just scored this down the road from my house. Huge one! I just have to get the hardware to attach top and bottom. You're welcome to it, but that would be a long trip down I-40!

Attachments

• 20210618_113343.jpg
    20210618_113343.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
The bottoms have those pull out trays so it is a solid bottom. Or did you mean around the bottom of the sides?
Look closely at the article I linked ;)
The wire can be used by itself or if smaller wire floor is installed careful the tray can still be used inside the crate.

Back
Top Bottom