Persistent Scab on Comb

gillymae

Hatching
Jul 13, 2016
California
Hello! I recently purchased a serama rooster from a girl in my ffa chapter because she was not taking good care of him :( He's receiving much better care, but he has had a persistent scab on his comb since I got him roughly a month ago. I've been applying vetericyn with minimal results. Another girl told me he's had the scab for as long as she can remember. Anything I can put on it to help it heal?

Last edited:
Hello! I recently purchased a serama rooster from a girl in my ffa chapter because she was not taking good care of him
sad.png
He's receiving much better care, but he has had a persistent scab on his comb since I got him roughly a month ago. I've been applying vetericyn with minimal results. Another girl told me he's had the scab for as long as she can remember. Anything I can put on it to help it heal?

Is he housed with any other chickens?
If so they are most likely pecking at the scab and keeping it from healing. My rooster has a small place on his, I treat and treat, but he let's the girls pick at it if they want. A rooster will take just about anything if the girls are paying attention to him.

I have used plain neosporin, a+d, iodine, blue kote with mixed results. Just when it looks good/almost healed, he sweetly stands there and let's his ladies pick at it
roll.png

The only option I can think of is to isolate him until it's completely healed.

He is housed with a hen, but thats a recent occurence. I will isolate him though since I can't be sure his previous owner didn't house him with others. Thank you! (I do have neosporin on me so I'll give that a try too!)

He is housed with a hen, but thats a recent occurence. I will isolate him though since I can't be sure his previous owner didn't house him with others. Thank you! (I do have neosporin on me so I'll give that a try too!)
It doesn't look too bad, combs usually heal fairly quickly if left alone (no one pecking at it). I suspect it is from a previous insect bite/injury/pecking wound. Cosmetically it may not look that great, I've seen much worse though.I see no worrisome signs like pus, oozing (signs of infection).

Back
Top Bottom