Personal Tips/secrets for a Successful Incubation

rhino533

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Thailand
I'm still really new to incubating and would love to get some tip for a successful hatch with a high hatch rate. I have eggs in the incubator right now that are going on 14days. I candled them a few days ago and only 4/10 were healthy. 2 of the eggs were duds and 4 had tiny dead chicks in them (Died probably around day 5-7). My first time incubating I had 16 eggs and ended up with only 4 chicks. 5 were duds and 7 had tiny dead chicks in them. Some of the chicks were really tiny while others were a little bigger so that means they died at different stages. I'm using eggs from my hen. The first batch of 16 eggs I incubated, her eggs were a little porous so that might be the reason they died but since then I have been feeding her calcium/vitamins and this batch the eggs weren't porous at all and looked really good. My home made incubator works great. I have no problem keeping the temperature between 37.4c and 37.7c and the humidity for the first 18days stays really steady at 48-52%. I turn the eggs 4 times a day by hand. I have a small door on the side of the incubator (small to prevent hot air loss) and open it only when I turn the eggs. So knowing all this why are they dying? Does any one have any personal tips/secrets to a good incubation? Thanks for any posts!!!

I'm no expert at all, but I think your humidity is too high for the first 18 days. There's alot of debate going on here whether dry hatching is successful, but it appears to be so. And in the 50% range just seems too high. Other than that, you sound like you're doing a great job.

Sounds like you are paying attention so ? How many days do you collect eggs before setting. Also how are you storing them until then ?

Here's my helpful hint...start with fertilized eggs, & start, not with store bought eggs, but eggs you get from yer own hen house, with roo...I personally oversaw the fertilization process, & just 'bout half the village as well...(ain't much to do out here...
big_smile.png
)

Quote:
I collect eggs for 10 days from my one and only hen. First time I hatched eggs I collected eggs for 16days but I know thats way to long. So now I will collect eggs from her every 10 days. Once I get more Hens it will be easier to get healthy eggs I hope.

Quote:
I live in a humid climate and I don't add any water to the incubator for the first 18days and the lowest humidity I can get is around 47% I'm not to sure how to get it lower than that.

Quote:
I collect eggs for 10 days from my one and only hen. First time I hatched eggs I collected eggs for 16days but I know that's way to long. So now I will collect eggs from her every 10 days. Once I get more Hens it will be easier to get healthy eggs I hope.

Collect them 7 days and incubate. At 10 days you are already starting to lose fertility. Also if you store them at too high a temp you are cooking them early. That would explain different age death rates.
Store your eggs in a cool dark space preferably around 50-55 degrees.

Quote:
Thanks will check it out. The first hatch I did I candled them a lot. I know I shouldn't of but it's hard to keep your hands off, this time I only candled them once so far and I'm on day 14. Will candle again on Day 18.

Quote:
I collect eggs for 10 days from my one and only hen. First time I hatched eggs I collected eggs for 16days but I know that's way to long. So now I will collect eggs from her every 10 days. Once I get more Hens it will be easier to get healthy eggs I hope.

Collect them 7 days and incubate. At 10 days you are already starting to lose fertility. Also if you store them at too high a temp you are cooking them early. That would explain different age death rates.
Store your eggs in a cool dark space preferably around 50-55 degrees.

Ok I'll try that. What I've been doing is just leaving them in the nest (in the shade) but the day time temps reach 35c or more here. Hmm might be a bit tricky to find a cool spot but I'll try.

Back
Top Bottom