Personalities...

geeky_farmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Wow, today I got 10 Cornish Rock chicks from TSC. They are my first meat birds.

In the past years we have probably had 100+ laying hens and are now running a group of 150 (4 weeks old). I am used to them in the little chick phase, cute, curious, and a bit nervous. Open the brooder lid and they run! Stand in their pen and they will slowly come over to peck at your boots.

The broilers seem lazy. They plopped down in front of the feeder and took a nap. When I open the brooder they barely looked up.

LOL! What a difference...

I always have called my chickens "our ladies" but I think these are "my nuggets..."

Cornish X eat, drink, poop, sleep, and grow. Personality is not their strong point.
lol.png

Yeah, NO personality. When we had the layers brooded in the living room, it was like another TV in the room. They would play, run, all collapse and sleep, and were just hilarious. The meaties, not so much.

A few years back my daughters raised a pen of commercial broilers for a County 4H fair meat pen. It did not take long before the girls were reffering to them as the "blobs", a pretty apt desciption.

Unfortunalty mine have developed personalities. I have 6 2-3 week old cornish x, 1 month old EE, one 5 week old silkie, and 2 two week old leghorn chicks in my brooder/tractor. When I go to get them food and water all of them but the meaties run and hide in the far corner. My meaties come running out the door straight to me. Guess they know where their food comes from. Makes me wish the other ones were the eating ones.
hide.gif
Thinking about keeping one since they are such friendly lil things, but don't want the poor things to suffer so will try to do the right thing when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom