Personalities...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by geeky_farmer, Apr 10, 2011.

1. geeky_farmer

geeky_farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Wow, today I got 10 Cornish Rock chicks from TSC. They are my first meat birds.

In the past years we have probably had 100+ laying hens and are now running a group of 150 (4 weeks old). I am used to them in the little chick phase, cute, curious, and a bit nervous. Open the brooder lid and they run! Stand in their pen and they will slowly come over to peck at your boots.

The broilers seem lazy. They plopped down in front of the feeder and took a nap. When I open the brooder they barely looked up.

LOL! What a difference...

I always have called my chickens "our ladies" but I think these are "my nuggets..."

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Cornish X eat, drink, poop, sleep, and grow. Personality is not their strong point.[​IMG]

3. geeky_farmer

geeky_farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Apparently NOT! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Yeah, NO personality. When we had the layers brooded in the living room, it was like another TV in the room. They would play, run, all collapse and sleep, and were just hilarious. The meaties, not so much.

5. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    A few years back my daughters raised a pen of commercial broilers for a County 4H fair meat pen. It did not take long before the girls were reffering to them as the "blobs", a pretty apt desciption.

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Unfortunalty mine have developed personalities. I have 6 2-3 week old cornish x, 1 month old EE, one 5 week old silkie, and 2 two week old leghorn chicks in my brooder/tractor. When I go to get them food and water all of them but the meaties run and hide in the far corner. My meaties come running out the door straight to me. Guess they know where their food comes from. Makes me wish the other ones were the eating ones.[​IMG] Thinking about keeping one since they are such friendly lil things, but don't want the poor things to suffer so will try to do the right thing when the time comes.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I know what you mean Julie I like mine too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by