Pest and disease prevention

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wormy270, Jun 12, 2009.

1. wormy270

wormy270 In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    We are getting our first chickens next week. We will have about a dozen. I would like to know what things can be done to PREVENT pest and diseases. Should you dust regularly for mites. And is there any de-wormer that should be given regularly to prevent worms. Or is simply keeping your coop clean enough to prevent infestations.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Hi! & Welcome! [​IMG] We use food grade DE. I buy it from my local co-op. We put it in our chicken food, mix it in their bedding, and have a dust bath of it for ours. When the chickens eat it, it de-worms them, it kills fleas, flys, mites, lice.. it's non toxic to livestock, pets, & people! It can also improve a flocks mortality rate! Hope this helps! Any questions, just give me a hollar. If I can find the link for the DE I'll post it for you.[​IMG]

3. wormy270

wormy270 In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    What exactly is DE?

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009
  5. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I hope you can use these links! I'm aweful at the computer! It Diatomaceous earth. It's a fossil thats ground down into a powder. It's safe enough that you can't feed too much of it, and people even take it! Taken internally, it works as a dewormer, and in the coop, it keeps down pests, and the odor.

6. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    thanks for posting a good link! I could use a computer class or two![​IMG]
    Quote:

7. trev1lov3

trev1lov3 Chirping

Sep 28, 2016
    Yeah really good for plants use too as as a growing medium or just sprinkle around a coop or plant you trying to protect. Bugs that try to cross are stabbed by tiny crystalline sprears.also used as a filter for ponds and pools. I installed a few de filters at a pool company job i had once. The are indeed fossils. Fossils of plankton and things like that

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: