Countryhippie

Chirping
Aug 29, 2021
Massachusetts
Hello,

The other day I was having a conversation with one of my friends who also has chickens. We both used different methods to prevent mites and parasites on our chickens. So out of curiosity im curious what everyone else uses with there flock.

What do you use for parasite prevention and how often do you perform it?

What do you do to prevent mite infestations and how often do you do this?

I feel like this discussion will be very helpful to individuals who are new to chicken keeping. :jumpy🐔🐤

I don't do specific things as far as prevention goes. I would say the chickens having access to a dust bath and regular health checks are the most important things, as well as properly quarantining new birds to make sure you don't spread anything undesirable.👍

Hello,

The other day I was having a conversation with one of my friends who also has chickens. We both used different methods to prevent mites and parasites on our chickens. So out of curiosity im curious what everyone else uses with there flock.

What do you use for parasite prevention and how often do you perform it?

What do you do to prevent mite infestations and how often do you do this?

I feel like this discussion will be very helpful to individuals who are new to chicken keeping. :jumpy🐔🐤
You can't really prevent parasites without locking your chickens in a sealed coop.
What you can do is keep the coop clean and inspect the chickens daily.

I think you are talking about mites, lice, and worms. For mites and lice I don't do anything except inspect them occasionally. I do not do a rigid once a week or once a month inspection but I handle them enough it's not that far between inspections. I've never had mites or lice. When I was a kid on the farm Dad had lice on the chickens once. He dealt with it using a chemical that is not on the approved list these days for use on chickens.

I don't do anything specifically for worms but I butcher chickens regularly throughout the year. Every time I butcher one I check it's intestines for roundworms or tapeworms. I consider that a pretty good inspection. I have not found one of those worms yet. As for the other types of worms such as eye worm or gapeworm I just observe them. Haven't found one of those worms yet either.

I know most people don't regularly butcher their chickens, most never do. But your question was what do I do. I try to keep them dry, reasonably clean, and give them sufficient space but that's just good animal husbandry, nothing specific for mites, lice, or worms.

Back
Top Bottom