pest control from dogs

Zaz.......the picture of the terrier with the chicken digging is just to much. That one should be on a front page of something. I love it.

Do you ever have a problem with the dogs getting at each other after a kill? Sometimes they do that.

I know a man here that had to Pyrenees that lost both. They wouldn't stay home and just up and left.

Quote:
Oh my gosh! That gracie is just a sweetheart! I want her
love.gif

Quote:
Do you mean do they fight?
No they do not fight ,they are a great pack of dogs and work good together or alone depending on the situation.

My Dog is a Lab Mix and she is awesome. But she is only awesome because she is 10 years old and running hurts. I don't know what she would have done 8 years ago! But joking aside, my dog only cares about 2 things: People and Chickens/Ducks. You had better not come up to my fence, and you especially shouldn't do that when my girls are outside. (It seems to escalate when the kids are out.) The poultry can walk all over her, but if Mr. Fox or Mr. Raccoon come around she knows what to do. I really think Labs/Mixes are great. They are smart, they train easily and they are great with kids. Just my thoughts.

I have a boxer /dobie mix that keeps the yard predator free. He hasnt killed anything but does chase coons and cats out of the yard . He wont tolerate fox or coyotes either but Im fortunate to not have much trouble with them either. All 5 of my dogs can be trusted with the birds loose but only Dozer chases out predators. Weirdly he totally ignores squirrels while the other 4 only chase squirrels and ignore cats and coons.
idunno.gif

Quote:
My dog sounds exactly like your dog. She is a Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix and she knows the chickens belong in our yard so she doesn't mess with them. She does go after other birds that come in the yard along with any other animal that dares to trespass in her territory...lol She spends a lot of the time indoors during the day and she is indoors at night, but she will bark if she hears anything unusual.

73266_lucy.jpg

I'd be lost without my dog. She's a koolie (similar to Aussie sheepdog). I spent about 5 minutes training her when she was young and she's been 100% with all livestock ever since. That was 7 years ago. Very alert guardian, also protects the kids. I've seen her grab a man's arm when he was playing too rough with my son. She also kills rats and pigeons but has never touched even a day old chick. Such a lucky find, I doubt I'll get a dog as good as her again.

I love some of the dogs people are using on this thread, they seem like the most unlikely breeds for the job, but are obviously superbly trained.

Thanks for the thread,
Erica

Back
Top Bottom