pest controle

BirchHatchery

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
indiana
i am wondering what would be the cheapiest and best birds to have for pest control only interested in chickens! i would have these birds completly free ranging for most or all of their food in spring-fall i thought a flock old english game bantams would work they dont eat alot and are very active any thoughts? also predators are not a major issue also im gonna train them to go into a pen i made 8x8 with a 6x8 run but will advntulay let them free range once their use to the place and no were home is and were to go at night

Last edited:
All chickens love to eat bugs, as far as I know. I no longer see spiders in my house or grasshoppers in the field. The dogs do not get ticks unless they leave the property. I don't think it matters which breed if you free range them.

It is true chickens like bugs and will eat them until their crop bulges. The key to effective pest control is bugs:chicken ratio. Last summer it was 1000000+:10. I am hoping to see an improvement with 39 chickens free ranging starting in a month or so. I will be back at the bug wars by then. Hopefully last year was the worse of the grasshoppers, and I see less numbers this year. Sworn off Nolo bait, it seems to attract them w/out killing enough off. I am getting guineas if I need more birds for bug control. I am at the point of fencing in all garden beds and all new plantings because of the need chickens have for digging in search of goodies. It killed me last summer, after 3 tries to get comphrey to grow, it finally did, and the hoppers ate it to the ground, but it came back so the chickens ate it to the ground. Will try again this summer
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom