Pester Duckling GETTING ANNOYED

stormie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
MO
So I hatched two ducklings and the black one hatched first, while the yellow one hatched next. Well they are one day old now, and I have noticed that the black one is CONSTANTLY getting all up the yellow ones grill and pecking at his beak. I feel bad for the other one! I think it could be a show of dominance, but still. The yellow one also pecks at the black one. Should I separate them or will these end? I have food and water in their and they know where to eat. I have never hatched two at once, so new to this.

Are you sure? I really worried because the yellow one is exhausted and can't go to sleep because of the other one bothering it. I going to go and get a red light bulb. Will that help them?

I had the same issue with my Dutch chicks in the brooder. I cut out the bottom out of a small bucket, put the thing in the brooder and stuck the rambo chick in prison. I made sure that the chick got some warmth from the heat lamp as well as a cool area too.

Ducklings are normally better hatched out in a group so they have company. I agree with putting the little demon in its own little area next to the weaker one (or vice versa).

Make sure whatever you use is see-through (at least on one side) and has an area under the light _and_ away from the light. Smaller containers trap heat better than the large brooder, so while it's a nice warm 99 in the brooder, the box may get to 110.

Some ducklings just do that. I have nearly 100 little Pekins in a brooder right now and I had to remove one because they poked at his bill until it became bruised. No one else in the brooder is that way, and after two days no one else looks like they're being attacked. The bruised guy was moved into an aquarium to rest with a few bantam chicks to give him time to rest and recover.

Back
Top Bottom