1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pesticides in the yard??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by New2TheCoop, Jan 20, 2012.

1. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    Hey everybody, I have a question about pesticides in the yard. I'm sure it's not advisable to use it, but I live in south Louisiana, on six acres, with miles of woods on two sides and a bayou on the other. We've had less than 10 nights of freezing all winter, the bugs, the mosquitoes, the fleas, the ticks are all starting to pop up. If you don't use pesticides then what do you use? And if I do use it, how long should I keep them locked up? Any advice will help...

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You mean your chickens aren't killing and eating all of your bugs? LOL

If I had to spray, I wouldn't let my chickens out around the pesticide for at least 10 days or until there was a real good rain.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I used BT donut dunks for skeeters,and just picked ticks off the dogs. In your case I might spray from the inside and head out to the border one time,and then hopefully just needing to spray the border every so often.Hopefully you have a way to restrict the chickens for a few days while the pesticide risk to them decreases.

4. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    My chickens are in a 8x16 run for most of the time, they can only free range when I'm home. I'm in a rural area of south Louisiana, we have foxes, raccoons, opossums, snakes, more stray dogs than you can shake a stick at, and that's just things that I see on a regular basis. Free ranging isn't really an option.

Ill treat the yard this weekend and keep them locked up for a while I guess.

5. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    Your local ag extension agent might be able to tell you what pesticides can be used around livestock and when it is safe to allow them near treated areas.

6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Yes! I live in the same area, Gonzales. Chickens eat all the crickets, hoppers, creepy crawlys, but they don't even make a dent in the moisquito population.

What do I do?

Twice or three time a week I spray the coop area, inside and out with one of the fly repelant products I use for my horses. Dumor, Pirhana, whatever, I am careful to keep the spray away from food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by