Pesticide and free ranging chicken?

zmender

Chirping
Feb 1, 2022
Hello!

We live in a heavily wooded area that backs into a forest, with plenty of standing water both on property and in the woods. Recently it's humid and the horsefly / mosquito situation is getting pretty bad.

Previous years I'd spray the property with deltamethrin once a month and that's pretty effective in controlling the insect population. However this year with my chickens free ranging, I was concerned with spraying insecticide that my chickens might end up eating and in the end into my own eggs.

Do y'all have any tips for controlling insects without the pesticide? or these materials are safe enough / decompose fast enough that I can safely use them around the chickens?

I'm a big proponent of permethrins, properly used - but controlling mosquitos and the like in areas with substantial amounts of water is not a good fit for the product. Smaller pools of water? BTi. Larger pools, you almost have to hope for mosquito eating fish or the like - I have no recmmends in that respect.

I have the liquid fly traps setup throughout the property on the outer perimeters. They attract a good number of flies but does nothing for mosquitos.

Fly attractants like those, or bait jars, are good far away from your favorite places. thet attract the flies!
Fish help a lot with mosquito larvae, as do those harmless to everyone 'Mosquito Dunks'.
Mary

I'd wear Deet and not spray the environment, except maybe on the deck where you are likely to be sitting.
Mary

I think this might be a good compromise. Spray the immediate surroundings of the house so I don't have to swat out spider webs as I step I out of door in the morning, but still not over apply.

Fly attractants like those, or bait jars, are good far away from your favorite places. thet attract the flies!
Fish help a lot with mosquito larvae, as do those harmless to everyone 'Mosquito Dunks'.
Mary
I don't know if these standing water will support fishes. They turn into mud cake when it's dry. There are however a LOT of frogs (and toads), I have to be careful not stepping onto them while walking dog after dark.

Have not heard of "mosquito dunks" before... googling now.

edit: frog + toads. I think they are toads.

Back
Top Bottom