Predator/Great Pyrenees help needed!

If you live in the city limits contact your police department. Since you can't do anything, I believe it's up to them to trap the animal (they probably can't shoot them either) and dispose of them.

If you live in the city limits contact your police department. Since you can't do anything, I believe it's up to them to trap the animal (they probably can't shoot them either) and dispose of them.
You know you bring up a good point, IDK I know a guy in the conservation/invasive species field. Maybe I can get a hold of him, maybe he has some thoughts on the matter I did ask him about it at one meeting but my question is more why, when after (choke) living here 59 years never had this issue before. I should have dug a little deeper. I think they have a charting map where people call in sightings but no one really knows about it so it's pretty mute to ask me. I will dive a little deeper into it.

Totally get it!! She’s s a lot! Lol… some days I would take a hundred of her…. Other days, never again! I totally hear you on your rant about the dog at the pound…. Although I appreciate (as I’m guessing you do too) the vetting they do to make sure the dog is in the appropriate home… sometimes they definitely pass up on a great home- and for sure better than the pound. I think to help you through (as I have had to do in past when I’ve been ‘rejected’), think and hope that they really knew what they were doing, and especially pray the dog ends up in another loving and maybe a more appropriate home for the dog. But yes, totally hear you and empathize! It does not sound like you are looking for strictly a working dog! I wish us both luck in saving our lovable chickens, and keeping loving home for our dogs (And all may all homeless and sheltered dogs find their forever loving home!!)
Well, I do agree with you. I pretty much spent the last couple years (covid years) sending in long blips about my experiance and bla bla bla to never hear anything back from these rescues. But now in our area, the rescues are over flowing to the point they are no longer taking any animals in. If you find a dog on the street. They won't take it, it's yours to deal with or turn it loose. So I figured I would try again. I am on FB with a vet site one for horses and one for household pets. One of the vets made the comment she didn't know what they were looking for as she was not approved for adoption. I kinda threw my hands up at that point. But I am a person that believes things happen for a reason, (may not like it but) and it is what it is. Still irked......... can't help it.

I foster dogs for a breed rescue. Why don't you look for rescue organizations that represent the kind of dog you want. I'm not sure a guardian dog would be best for you, but you might be able to talk to some knowledgeable people.

Need help and advice.

Since the shutdown the Coyotes have moved into my area. I have a large flock of chickens that gets cooped at night with a hot line so those are safe but since I free range and there are a ton of places to hide, some chickens decide that they want to put the FREE in free range and roost IDK where at night. So they get up in the morning start their day and the Coyote comes 7-9 am. this last week I have lost 3. I tell you they are pretty darn brazen, and my dogs have been bit. My bully this morning refused to go deal with it, he got bit 3 days ago and this morning the BC did go on chase, but he got bit on the nose pretty bad. My dogs are around 60lbs and need back up. I have a 3rd puppy dog we rescued. around Valentines but he is smallish, and I fear he's not up to the task and going to get hurt plus he's on full play mode is going to want to play with it and coyote is thinking meal! So, I am considering a Great Pyrenees, 1 or 2, they seem to be available in my area for not that much cost. Some say no cats, I have cats, so do you think this dog has too high a prey drive? I was thinking taking on a rehome situation because it helps an older dog out and then I get the benefit of someone big enough to help with this situation now. or start with a puppy, which means I have no help for IDK 6+ months. We have lots of dog background 5 BC and other breeds, horses etc. But I am in the dark with this and want to lean on others who can guide me. Years ago, some lady was rehoming her GP and she told me they are roaming dogs and can't be trusted to stay on property. That seems kind of counter intuitive to being a livestock guard. We are lifers with the dogs/animals, so I don't want to get in a regret situation.
it might backfire and the dog could eat ur chickens

Back
Top Bottom