Pests and garden

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by xjonesy, Mar 23, 2009.

1. xjonesy

xjonesy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    Utah
    Two quick questions:

1) I'm putting my coop and run close to my vegetable garden. When I let my chicks out to roam my backyard, will they wreak havoc on my garden? I'll have tomatoes, zucchini, radishes, peas, corn, etc. in the garden. Will I have to keep an eye on my ladies when they're out of the coop?

2) My neighbor, who also raises chickens, told me he had a mink or weasel once that got in his run and ate all the chickens and eggs. I'm planning on using simple t-posts and chicken wire around the run to keep the chickens in, but how do I prevent a mink or weasel from digging under the chicken wire and getting into the run?

Thank you!

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    1. Chickens love veggies. Don't worry, they will only take a couple of bites out of each tomato.

2. Chicken wire only stops chickens. Predators don't have to dig unger it. Most can squeeze through it, chew through it or rip it open.

I would suggest that you use the chicken wire to fence the garden off from the chickens and something else (like welded wire) for the run.

3. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Try to keep the chickens out of your garden. They love all kinds of vegtables and will gorge themselves in your garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by