pests or potential predator?

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
I am not sure if it go's here but, 3 strange people stopped by the house and asked if our chickens were for sale. great (not great) potential threat. locked the coop with a pad lock. I am in a good neighborhood, they didnt seem like they lived around here. kinda nervous. anything like this happen to any of you all? I am weary about anyone that stops by. paranoid maybe. who knows. stomach hurts.
My husband told the guy, there my wifes chickens and they are all our pets. And they are not for sale. ugh!
sad.png

Lucky my 2 dogs were barking.

Last edited:
It wouldn't hurt to talk to your local law enforcement and let them know about it. I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Glad you locked up your coop nice and tight. Are your dogs big dogs? Can they stay out on guard at night?

Quote:
well my 2 dogs are shelties, one is 13 years old, and a big ol' boy and the other is a yapper barker, a little 11 pound mini sheltie! ha

I checked on everyone tonight, doing well so far! (phew)!!

Are your chickens visible from the street..? Do you have a singing rooster..? If the answer is no to both questions.You have to ask yourself, how did they know that i have chickens..? I wouldn't freak about it, but be alert.Where i live the thieving bast_rds steal anything.It's sad, but things are much worse now with all the low life illegal trash running amuck..I can't even leave a darn water sprinkle on my front lawn without it being stolen.I don't trust anyone but God and my mother, well...a few more than that....BUT not many...! Not long ago this was a nice & safe neighborhood, then they came...sucks...

Jeezzzzzz....thats a little wierd if you ask me...def go to the police!! we have our pen padlocked at all times,unless we are out withthe chickens..we have 3 too...and we are not far from you! scary-people are getting stranger and stranger...you should get a sign at lowes,or wherever that says "warning-security dog" and put it out front...people think twice when they see that in our front yard...good luck!

Zeus....i read a story in the news where a "dog warning" sign backfired on the dog/homeowner.The judge in the case sided with the trespasser saying the owner knew the dog was dangerous and put up the dog warning sign anyway....How sick is that....!! Where are the rights of law abiding citizens..?? Are you suppose to sit their and wait for someone to hurt you/family or steal your stuff..?

They could have been casing your house, not your chickens. Seems like your gut warned you that something is not right, so trust that instinct, and call the police to state your concerns; ask for more frequent patrols on your street.

Yes, it is possible that they are simply people who saw or heard that you have chickens and came by to ask (some people DO routinely sell birds). Nevertheless, play it safe.

Quote:
exactly, I think they were more casing our house. behind our houses (street behind us) there are the million dollar homes, (go rob them people).
seriously tho, ours is an older house. (we bought it and renovated the heck out of it).

Thinking, on getting some signs. I am just such a worry wort. slept better last night.

To answer a question, yeah you can see our coop and chickens from the street. i dunno. thanks everyone for your advice. I spoke to a state trooper yesterday, (some one from my work) and he said, they cant really do anything. "nothing has happened"
and so theres nothing to do. nothing happened etc. he told me not to worry about it.
i dunno. thanks tho everyone.

I had a guy who came by my 3 different times, cliaming he was a Johovah Wi__ness...I've had them stop by my house peddling their beliefs plent of times over the yrs.I would tell them, thanks...but not interested and i wouldn't see them again.I told this guy the same thing the first time he came by.The next week he was back again, i told him don't come back, i have my own beliefs.Can you believe he came back again a week or so later.This time we had ugly words, and called the police.
I was thinking about the whole thing, and am convinced he was casing my house.First of all i have never seen JH's travel single, they are always in two's or threes when going door to door.. Then when he got ugly with me the third time, i said to myself, JH don't behave like this...I knew the guy was a fake when he was cussing me with a latin accent...He was long gone when the cops arrived, but i filled a police report anyway.We have alot of gang-bangers around my area now, so i have to be vigilant for all kinds of schemes...! It's sad that its this way now, but its reality now where i live..I need a good guard dog...!

Gotta LOVE the dogs barking! That means that those creepers who stopped by KNOW that the dogs will bark if they come back!!! I LOVE my dogs for their warning systems! My German Shepherd can actually tell ME if some people are worse than others! Mail lady, one bark and sits at the door, neighbor boys, she glares at them and barks if they come in our yard, Once a creeper door to door salesman came to the door, I kept the glass storm door closed and my dog was ON the door, barring her teeth, barking like she wanted to tear his head off, bad feeling that guy gave me! But dogs are GREAT for keeping those guys from coming back, no matter how small or old the dog! They protect their own!

Back
Top Bottom