Pests

One more thing.. After I sprayed the chicken and coop, the next day, the mites were back! I had to spray it again every day now. Is that a problem?

Quote:
I checked Petsmart and Petco for diatomaceous earth, but they did not have it. Any internet site?

DE will NOT treat an infestation. It MAY prevent one, but many people have stated on this and other forums that it does not. DE IS good for drying things.

Quote:
Sounds like the spray you are using is ineffective. What are you using? How old is it? Concentration?

With one bird, the BEST way to get rid of external parasites is a bath in dog or cat flea/tick shampoo. Preferably one containing an insect growth regulator which will give a residual effect, and prevent lice eggs that hatch later from maturing. For the coop and pen, THOROUGHLY spray the entire structure, getting into all the small cracks and crevasses. Use a product made for spraying animal premises.

Mites and lice can kill chickens, and my guess is that that is what killed your other one.

My condolences for the loss of your hen first off. Secondly use should definitely consider give your current hen a bath as mentioned previously. But in terms of spray, it might not be the sprays fault. Some pesticides are tailored made for specific pest. Even general pesticide cannot cover every variant of pest. Do a little digging and figure out what exactly is plaguing your hen then see if what your using the spray the coop is an effective treatment. I recommend looking here to help you identify what sort of pest you got and the proper product you may need: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/pests.php

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom