Pet Chicken, Attitude Adjustment ADVICE needed

Quote:
It wasn't rude at all! just because it wasn't what you wanted to hear, does *NOT* make it rude. It was truthful, plain and simple.

Quote:
And often times those people who try and keep and *change* those beasts into 'pets' end up dead - from said same 'pet'.

Quote:
And again, many of those pets aren't known for their aggressiveness or fighting abilities. The others are and aren't exactly 'pets' per se.

Quote:
And no one implied, inferred nor said you were.

It seems to me you simply got huffy because the first reply wasn't what you wanted to hear. If anyone 'attacked', it was you. If you can't handle to opions of others on a *public* forum, you really shouldn't ask for them.

gee whiz... everyone is determined to bicker. I suppose I'll put my 2 cents in. I think the 1st response to the OP was insensitive and the thread has started going off track since. Maybe if it had been worded with more tact, the advice would have been better recieved. When it comes down to it, it's all opinion, but theres no need to rain on each others parade, is there? BTW, I think the chicken could be integrated into a flock as long as that flock is not overcrowded and contains well adjusted birds. I would do that because I couldn't keep a chicken in my house long term. But, I have 3 dogs in the house and lots of other people might insist that I should keep them outside.

Unfortunately I can't give you details about the dinner, except that when FIL told them afterwards they were understandably upset. They ate it without noticing anything "strange". FIL passed away a few years ago, DH told me the story.
With "wild" I did mean wild captures. I don't like seeing animals/birds contained in cages after they grew accustomed to being in the wild. Though in some cases it is inevitable, for example when an injured bird/animal got rescued and cannot be released again, due to a handicap.
Your Weebles is too cute for words. I'm glad you are having such a good experience with him. It be an idea idea to get him a girlfriend at some point, maybe try to integrate him with the rest of the flock? So he can hang out with other chickens sometimes. If you can't, wouldn't be a train crash. He sounds very happy.
I raised my roo's to maturity and then introduced them to the rest of the flock, no problems. Up 'till being put outside they had no problem being around humans only. My first roo did not mingle with other chickens for the first 4 months and he adapted very well. What I find very interesting is that the roo's seem to want and need affection more than the hens. I have 4 almost mature chickens round the house at the moment. Two hens, one midget who doesn't want to grow properly and the roo. The midget thinks she's still a baby and want cuddles and picking up all the time, the roo jumps on my lap/shoulder every opportunity he gets. The hens do their thing and come sit on my lap only when I lie down to read or when it's bedtime.
I find the psychological aspects of chickens very interesting. They definitely have their own individual likes/dislikes and personalities. Some like being with people more than others, some are aggressive, some are meek... They are a lot like humans!

How about we brush ourselves off and get back to the OP?

That Weeble is soooooo cute! I love the photo of him in the garden center with the wild 'fro.
lol.png

I had a rascal for a rooster, he was my favorite from the day we got him. I paid extra attention to him. He ended up attacking my elderly customers and he seemed to focus on the ones that were terrified of chickens. I donated him to the 4-H auction with full disclosure. I got back to his new owner a few months later. She said he is all better, after they reached a serious agreement. He had to be dominated a few times and he learned his lesson. I just couldn't bring myself to place a boot in the little guy's butt.

Anyway, the lesson I came away with is that sometimes alternative approaches may work. I hope you and Weeble can work through his natural hormonal issues.
wink.png

gypsymoonfarm:

Thank you for your story! Attacking customers would certainly be a problem!! Not a situation that I want to copy. It's a slow time at the shop right now, and I kennel him when customers come in (if I take him at all). That's another good reason to have him on a tether. From my 4-H days I recall keenly how frightened people seem to get around birds! It always amazed me that they would walk up to the rear end of a full size holstein cow with their children and pet or pull on the tail....or stick their kids over the pig pens so they could pet them....but once in the poultry barn they would shield themselves and their children from coming anywhere near the bars of a cage!! Personally I would take an ANGRY roo with sharpened spurs over a cow kick or pig bite. But the fear of birds is very real.

Weeble is being a very well behaved little man. His voice is changing more every day. He crowed for the first time a few days ago... such a loud scream he scared himself and ran in circles until I came over to calm him, hehehehe. I laughed my butt off at him. After mustering one, more calculated crow, he has been silent since. Calm before the storm I would imagine. His fancy crown, hackle and saddle feathers are coming in fuller... If he weren't such a weird little fellow, he'd be quite the stud. But his neurological glitches are still quite evident. Think of how a person who has experienced a severe stroke might act. Favoring one side, loss of balance, "nervous" twitches, walks in tight circles when excited...

No problems this last week with "attacking" ankles. He doesn't get standoffish either. He still charges the cats and dog, but he stops short and stares them down, then gives up when they don't budge. Two of the cats simply stopped taking his crap... a couple thumps to the head from them and he's learning his place. He comes out to roost on the rungs of our chairs at night when we're in the kitchen late. He clearly perceives us as his flock and wants to roost with us.

I saw, I think on Youtube, a video about a chicken being fitted for a reptile harhess at a pet supply store,
perhaps that is something to think about for Weeble's outtings???
The pictures are awfully cute
smile.png

If you are gonna go on a forum and ask advice on any topic you are going to get advice that you agree with as well as advice that you disagree with. Different opinions are allowed. Someone disagreeing with what you want to hear is not an attack. I have to say I agree with putting the roo out where he can be a roo. If a problem arises then deal with it. But what bugs me is the analogy of people that raise tigers in their living rooms. Any tiger expert that understands and respects the nature and instinct of the tiger will tell you that is a foolish, and stupid recipe for disaster. If I couldn't handle someone disagreeing with me I'd just go start a forum called don'tdisagreewithmyidealsandopions.com

Quote:
I do want to add - some chickens probably could do awesome inside and some not.. It's a thing she wants to try and I can respect that too

I totally get what u are saying.. And respect it, I think so many times..typed words without seeing expression can be taken so wrong.

I think whatever with what many would like to do..

But I do understand, infact I think u did give some advice , u said put the roo outside.. And to me that was advice.

I have learned so much here on byc.. And many here don't like hearing everyones opinion.. But I have truly learned .. If one ask, then one must be prepared on a national website to hearnall kinds of responses.

Maybe the op just didn't understand your help u were trying to give.

Xoxox

Last edited:
When I ask for advice, I sift through what I think works best after considering all factors. Asking advice on the net is different because we cannot look eye to eye, see body language, voice inflections. We do not know the personalities, nor emotions of the moment. Respectfully, I'd like to share on the commentary about tigers and such as pets. I have a friend who takes in wild animals (legally) whom have been taken away from owners, or from zoos who for various reasons can no longer keep them. She has tigers, two lions, bears, and lots of other animals. The hardest ones to retrain are those whom have been housebound. They are no longer accepted by their peer breeds, nor are they able to relate in a home settings. Some from homes were given up by confused owners whom don't understand why they regressed. Some react to commands (the zoo pushes that this from a saftely and inspection standpoint is important, and to learn behaviour modifications). They've done their homework, researched. But with animanls who's nature is to bond with like, regardless of what we as humans think, they need each other. Just as we humans need each other. Tigers on the other hand, well, it only takes one time, right? I live within spitting distance of the San Diego Zoo, and am personal friends with the lead caregiver of a very popular animal there. I also am friends with a couple whom take in large birds of prey (raptars) whom cannot physically go back into the wild because of injuries. Yes, you can TRAIN some of all to respond to commands, but given the opportunity, they will be what they are meant to be. Don't get much press on all the escapees here, but it does happen. While there have been no dangers with escapees, when an animal senses danger, there is a chance. A bunch of years ago, a mama elephant escaped because her infant escaped. She panicked and tried to chase him down. He paniced because this was outside his environment, and they eventually went off the zoo property and to the street. Now, it took trainers to convince them to do what was needed to get back to their given home, but Mama wasn't going until she trusted her baby was ok, and until she could focus on what the trainers wanted of her. Yes, the zoo learns about elephants, takes excellent care of them, and because of this we learn more about elephants. They may live longer, healthier, even with creating a fluid environment through time to best match their needs. But watching and studying elephants, they are happier when in their pods of family. They expand on social skills. I understand your worry and concern regarding this very cute young rooster, but given equal energy and time on both sides for him to discover might give you a better feel for what works.

I am not asking to be cruel or discourtious, but have you considered the value and different approaches to intergrating him back into a relationship starting with just one hen, maybe younger? Would he be more content spending the nights in a bathroom or inside/harnessed, or given the best chance of trying, outside?

One thing for certain, no one can disagree that you are showing a love for what is your responsibility to raise!

Blessings,
Karen

... he said.....she said ......ya da ......ya da.....
duc.gif

love.gif
LOVE those pics. They have totally made me laugh,,,, and for that I thank you.

Hope things are going well
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom