Pet Chicken - How many?

Robbo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Idaho
Hello,

I am new and researching chickens as pets and possibly potentially egg layers (in the future).

I had a question that I cannot seem to find... if you are just getting a chicken(s) as pets... is it recommended to have more than one? I know it may seem silly to ask but I have raised many animals (animal lover) and have always found in research some do best alone and some do best in pairs because they are "social" and don't like to be alone... but I can't seem to find much info on chickens about this.

Would it be okay if I only bought one chick and raised it and then cooped it outside - or would two do better?

Thanks!

Hello,

I am new and researching chickens as pets and possibly potentially egg layers (in the future).

I had a question that I cannot seem to find... if you are just getting a chicken(s) as pets... is it recommended to have more than one? I know it may seem silly to ask but I have raised many animals (animal lover) and have always found in research some do best alone and some do best in pairs because they are "social" and don't like to be alone... but I can't seem to find much info on chickens about this.

Would it be okay if I only bought one chick and raised it and then cooped it outside - or would two do better?

Thanks!
The single chick and then chicken would be very sad and lonely. Always get more than one.

The minimum recommended number of chickens is three. You need to have some semblance of a flock structure. Birds of a feather flock together--and single chickens are miserable.

Thank you all, and for the such quick responses!

I have found the information in this forum and website amazing. I have been reading for hours now, haha.

I've seen people have just one chicken it doesn't seem to cause problems, just your average nutrition, shelter, and exercise are most important.

This is a single chicken coop made for the urban lifestyle!

Back
Top Bottom