Pet Chicken - How many?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Robbo, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Robbo

Robbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Idaho
    Hello,

I am new and researching chickens as pets and possibly potentially egg layers (in the future).

I had a question that I cannot seem to find... if you are just getting a chicken(s) as pets... is it recommended to have more than one? I know it may seem silly to ask but I have raised many animals (animal lover) and have always found in research some do best alone and some do best in pairs because they are "social" and don't like to be alone... but I can't seem to find much info on chickens about this.

Would it be okay if I only bought one chick and raised it and then cooped it outside - or would two do better?

Thanks!

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    These are flock animals so they do better with a buddy. One chicken will get lonely.

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    The single chick and then chicken would be very sad and lonely. Always get more than one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    A lone chicken does not do well. They need a flock. I would recommend 3 -- that way if anything happens to one there is still a social structure.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The minimum recommended number of chickens is three. You need to have some semblance of a flock structure. Birds of a feather flock together--and single chickens are miserable.

6. Robbo

Robbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Idaho
    Thank you all, and for the such quick responses!

I have found the information in this forum and website amazing. I have been reading for hours now, haha.

7. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I've seen people have just one chicken it doesn't seem to cause problems, just your average nutrition, shelter, and exercise are most important.

[​IMG]

This is a single chicken coop made for the urban lifestyle!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by