Pet dogs and chicks

Sc00ter4900

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Massachusetts
Hello
I posted this question a week a go but i am new to this and didnt find it after i posted it. So I'll try again
smile.png
I have 5 dogs That are friendly to people and my pet bird. I want to know if its posible for the chicks and dogs enteract to gather? I wouldnt leave them alone. I feel as though the dogs would keep the preditors away. Here a pic of the dogs

33619_phpk98nktpm.jpg

The rat terrior is the only one that might be a problem. I have a yellow lab ,2 black labs, a retreiver mix and a rat terrior.

33619_phpkrcelkpm.jpg

I have 3 reds and 3 rocks here is a pic of Babies. I need to get camra fixed my chics are 4 weeks old now

33619_phpcgmu0dam.jpg

Im just trying to keep them safe . wasnt sure if any one has had good luck with there dogs and chicks. Hope to hear from you soon
old.gif

My babies are 6 weeks old and my dog is more interested in eating their food at this point. Even neighbor dog ( a black lab) doesn;t really care about them but I still won't leave them alone. I'm working on training mine to watch the birdies with the cat but we shall see.

Some of the sweetest dogs eat chickens. You will read on here over and over again where peoples dogs killed their chickens and they just cant believe it. It is way to tempting for them. I would never chance it.

I dunno. Dogs really like to chase little fuzzy things. I allow my dogs with the full grown chickens but I do not trust them with the babies. You might could try it since yours are 6 weeks old.
thumbsup.gif

Dogs will eat chicks.
My dog is soooo nice. Cats even like him. The vet says he is "gentle & special." HE WILL TRY TO CATCH CHICKENS. Ugh!
Read old posts. This forum is chock full of people voicing their incredulity that their friend would tear apart their other friend.
Beware!

The only dog I trust with my ducks, goose, and chickens is my Great Py. Even my 10 year old German Shepherd, Rocky, who is so gentle that he has never hurt another creature, can't be trusted. I caught him chasing my rooster one day. Probably to play with him but I'm not going to take that chance.

He was rightly scolded and sent back to the house.

Laurie

My extremely sweet dogs ate a box of 19 chicks the other day. (the postman left them on the doorstep. that is another rant for another day). But the bottom line is that chicks are irresistible to dogs.

My dogs are out with my free ranging chickens all the time. The dogs have access to the chicken pen and the henhouse. The dogs usually ignore them. Once in a while, for whatever reason, one of the dogs will take an interest in a chicken and will kind of follow it around or watch it, but they soon lose interest. The chickens drink out of every water trough, even the dogs' water bucket. I've thrown food out to the chickens and didn't think a thing about letting the dogs out. The dogs just eat alongside the chickens.

When some of them were puppies they had to be trained not to chase chickens, but they all learned.

Though, I don't trust them with chicks because I don't know about your chicks but mine run like crazy, and that just attracts the dogs' attention. I usually pen up the chicks until their a couple months old, then they free range with everyone else.

Some dogs are just better with some things than others. Believe it or not, some dogs just don't have the compulsion to attack everything in sight. Others need a bit of training, and still others, can't be trusted at all. Half of mine can't be trusted with goats, and would bother the cows. But they're all fine with the chickens.

I'd say just work with them. Give them a lot of exposure, and be absolutely there to correct any inappropriate behavior. The more the chickens are just a part of the dogs' landscape, the better.

You need to get the dog used to chickens and vice versa... a squawking running chicken will trigger a dog chase instinct... this is when most accidents happens.....

Thanks for the info. There is a lot of negitive thought on it being posible for a dog and chick to hang out . I also got some positve thought on the subject. Thanks There still babies but im going to try it. I wount leave them alone. I like the idea of being there to corect any problems.

Back
Top Bottom