Pet Duckling died after 3 weeks - Need Advise

rakeshkarthik

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2023
Hi, I am living in Indonesia and recently got 4 ducklings - 4 weeks old (1 male /3 female) I have a few queries as below, Thanks for your help

1. After 3 weeks, one female duck (which is usually active and has grown bigger than other ducklings) died suddenly - it felt weak and didn't walk and died by the evening. I really do not understand the reason why it happened. What steps should I take to save other ducklings? (feeding probiotic duck feed/corn/green vegs)
  2. Can Ducklings in Indonesia can grow without a heat lamp because of the hot weather? I didn't use a heat lamp.
  3. Can I let the duckling out of the cage in my garden after 3 weeks? There are some neighbor chickens visitors into my garden the whole day. What steps I should take before letting the duckling in the free range?
  4. Should I feed the duckling any Vitamin B or Antibiotics for protection?

:welcome
Very sorry for your loss.
Since your ducklings are still not outside are you offering grit ? when feeding anything other than their main feed they need grit to grind it up in their gizzard. And being they are at the stage where they are growing fast I'd cut out most of the corn and just feed their duck food and just a small amount of treats.
If you have an area fenced off where your ducklings would be safe they can be outside. I'd let the neighbors chickens meet them though through fencing so the ducklings don't get pecked and bullied since they will be considered the newbies. Also predator protection needs to be considered.
Ducklings at 4 weeks can go without heat if temps are warm like 70 and above.
What breed are your ducklings?
It's always a good idea to add extra niacin which can be B complex or just reg niacin daily until at least 12 weeks old if Pekin then they may need it for life since their legs can't always keep up with their growth since they are meat birds and grow fast. They weren't taken into consideration many love them as pets. Don't use flush-free or time-released niacin.
Antibiotics aren't needed unless others are falling ill. Then most likely a vet would have to prescribe an antibiotic.

To protect from niacin def I use Nutritional yeast sprinkled over their feed at 1 Tablespoon to each cup of feed, and if one of my ducks starts to have to limp then I go to Liquid B Complex since it works better and faster if a niacin deficiency.
I hope the rest of your ducklings will be fine. It may have been the one that died had some kind of congenital issues and just got the best of her as she grew.

So sorry for your loss
@Miss Lydia has covered a lot
I would like to add are they getting water deep enough to dunk their heads
They need to keep their eyes and nares cleared

It’s really hard to say for sure why baby passed
But a few things we can look for
Is their any possibilities of mould in their area ?
Wet feed can turn mouldy quickly ( I give fresh feed everyday and wash the bowls out. I end up throwing away a lot of feed but would rather my birds are safe
Wet shavings / hay can turn mouldy
And ducklings love to get water everywhere
If they haven’t been outside yet we can rule out things like digging up metals they shouldn’t eat or eating toxic plants ect
My little ones stopped using heat by 3 weeks except after baths as they get a little cold when wet
Then there are times some just have heart attacks and pass away and there was nothing we could have done different
Hopefully the rest of your babies are okay

Hi Ms Lydia, New duck mother,

Thanks for your help. I'll try to incorporate the things as advised (including Grit, mold and Niacin). I really don't know what breed my ducklings are. (attached photo)

• Yes, other ducklings are good and active. However, one Female duckling didn't grow like the others. She is still small in size (the yellow one that's drinking water), She eats but in small portions without much excitement. And another female duck's right cheeks are a bit swollen, I read that as Sinus for the duckling. Can you advise on these?
  • Currently using the big water dispenser (in the photo) and have built a small pond when they are out of the brooder.
  • I let the duck outside a bit usually & tried the border fence while cleaning the brooder. Since there is no roof projection, the chicken can always barge in to steal the duck feed all the time.
  • In a few days, I probably will let the duckling outside in the garden, I will try to use a magnet to remove any metal or nails in the lawn. Since it's tropical weather there are so many different weeds and grass in the garden. Is there anything that I need to remove that potentially harms the duckling

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-04 at 22.20.59.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-04 at 22.20.59.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 25

Thanks for your help. I'll try to incorporate the things as advised (including Grit, mold and Niacin). I really don't know what breed my ducklings are. (attached photo)

• Yes, other ducklings are good and active. However, one Female duckling didn't grow like the others. She is still small in size (the yellow one that's drinking water), She eats but in small portions without much excitement. And another female duck's right cheeks are a bit swollen, I read that as Sinus for the duckling. Can you advise on these?
  • Currently using the big water dispenser (in the photo) and have built a small pond when they are out of the brooder.
  • I let the duck outside a bit usually & tried the border fence while cleaning the brooder. Since there is no roof projection, the chicken can always barge in to steal the duck feed all the time.
  • In a few days, I probably will let the duckling outside in the garden, I will try to use a magnet to remove any metal or nails in the lawn. Since it's tropical weather there are so many different weeds and grass in the garden. Is there anything that I need to remove that potentially harms the duckling
I would check the smaller ones vent
Make sure it doesn’t have pasty butt
This can cause stunt in growth as well as lack of eating and energy
If it’s not pasty butt then it could just be it’s a different breed or sex and won’t be as large as the others or could be another issue
@Miss Lydia maybe able to advise on the cheeks or @HollowOfWisps
I’m not to sure on that

@New duck mommy 2021
You're right. That small duckling that didn't grow has a sticky and black poo. It is different than other's. Can you please advise?
Also, noticed the sinus seems better now (for another duckling)
I started letting the ducklings outside in the garden and they are getting along with the chickens and seems to enjoy it. (of course lol, I don't enjoy chasing it back to the coop during sunset haha).

I agree with Miss Lydia it takes but a minute for a duckling to get sick and die from wet bedding we as humans think is ok. Had that happen with some runners and one died. Now I use wood pellets which has greatly reduced the issue.

I’m sorry I didn’t get the notification on here
That waterer isn’t proper for ducks that old
They need it to be deep enough ti dunk their heads to clear the eyes and nares
This could be the issues with the puffy cheeks
If any duckling has dried poo to the vent area I get warm ( not hot ) water running and hold the back end of duckling under the tap while rubbing the poo gently ti not hurt the bird but clean off the poo
Ducklings need fresh water and feed as the feed will get wet and grow mould causing them infections

I’m sorry I didn’t get the notification on here
That waterer isn’t proper for ducks that old
They need it to be deep enough ti dunk their heads to clear the eyes and nares
This could be the issues with the puffy cheeks
If any duckling has dried poo to the vent area I get warm ( not hot ) water running and hold the back end of duckling under the tap while rubbing the poo gently ti not hurt the bird but clean off the poo
Ducklings need fresh water and feed as the feed will get wet and grow mould causing them infections
@@New duck mommy 2021
Thank you for your message. After the ducklings left the brooder, I discontinued the use of the water dispenser and provided them with a small pond where they can access fresh water. Currently, I have two ducklings that are five weeks old and have set up a pond for them. Additionally, I have recently adopted two female ducklings that are only ten days old. :)

Back
Top Bottom